Would a betta enjoy this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
My lotus pool has lotus growing now. There is potted creeping jenny in it, with some branches extending into the water. Parrot's feather is growing well and spreading and there is anacharis in it as well.

The water is green but doesn't stink. The plants seem happy.

Now that the weather is warm, I'm wondering if a betta would like to be rescued and live in the plant-filled pool to eat mosquito larvae? I've been using mosquito dunks, but the thought of a fish perhaps enjoying that little tropical kingdom makes me happy.

I know he would need to live indoors over the winter, which is no problem.

If there are many plants in there to oxygenate the water and hopefully keep it clean -- would it be ok to add a fish, in spite of the green water?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't know if I would put a betta in - I don't have a lot of experience with them. But we do put goldfish in our lotus pots every year and they do fine. Just as long as it doesn't get too hot - our pots are big, ceramic, and are shaded in the hottest part of the day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Bettas aren't horribly demanding, between 2 1/2 and 5 gallons of water, they like their pH closer to 7 and they are very tropical 75–82 °F (24–28 °C), so you'll need an aquarium heater. They are from the Mekong basin and it's canals and rice paddies so a little green water should make them feel at home.
I'm not a Bettas expert, so anyone who is feel free to chime in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Bettas aren't horribly demanding, between 2 1/2 and 5 gallons of water, they like their pH closer to 7 and they are very tropical 75–82 °F (24–28 °C), so you'll need an aquarium heater. They are from the Mekong basin and it's canals and rice paddies so a little green water should make them feel at home.
I'm not a Bettas expert, so anyone who is feel free to chime in.
Thank you! It just seems like a betta-friendly environment. When I went out today to check the temp, I noticed that the water is getting more balanced in there and clearing a bit as the plants fill in. It is 80 degrees now. It gets morning sun, but is shaded in the afternoon, so I think it will be pretty good temp-wise. It is also buried below ground, which should help insulate it from extreme heat.

Ask a Question