Ok is one post a day too much? Lol

Reaction score
Hello everyone , We have had our pond up and running for a week now, just wondering if brown film covering pond walls & bottom is normal ? It's not too thick & the water is crystal clear. My neighbor has 3 ponds , & we have been getting advice from him. He said it was normal , but we're not sure. Thank you

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A nice covering makes your liner look sort of like the bottom of a natural pond. Post away..........we all do lol

this is the bottom of mine 2 years after filling.

Reaction score
Thank you all , addy1 I see from your pic that you have some rocks on the bottom of your pond. We were scared to put any in ours , but it looks great. We're new to this hobby & have already had to get a new pump , bcuz the first one was oil cooled & it leaked, caused us to drain & start over. So I guess rocks on the bottom are ok. :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Mermaid2 said:
Thank you all , addy1 I see from your pic that you have some rocks on the bottom of your pond. We were scared to put any in ours , but it looks great. We're new to this hobby & have already had to get a new pump , bcuz the first one was oil cooled & it leaked, caused us to drain & start over. So I guess rocks on the bottom are ok. :)
Can of worms -- rocks on pond-bottom.....! Most here don't advocate the use of rocks.

Probably what you are seeing are folds in the liner, covered by algae. But I could be wrong.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mermaid2 said:

Lol any rocks on the bottom are ones that have fallen in from the sides. The black things you see are trap door snails. I pull rocks out off and on during the year, think critters walk the edge and knock them in, including me critter.

No rocks on my pond bottom put there on purpose. I had rocks at one time, previous pond, no thanks they collect so much muck.

There is a tiny bit of spilled pea gravel, maybe a handful or so.

Reaction score
Well maybe we won't add any rocks then , I guess it's just trail & error. There is so much we don't know. I read a few books before we started but , they do not explain everything. Woke up to a dead fish in the pond this morning :( we have 4 fish they all seem happy & healthy , the one that died was much smaller than the others. ? Could that be the reason it didn't make it?

Ask a Question