Yet an other leak post...

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Greetings;

I know, many threads like this have been posted. I did a search and read many many threads about leaks in your waterfall. But I still have to ask a few question.

I actually found my leak using the many advice given in the many threads about this common issue. My leak is caused, well by me. I screwed up. While placing the stones, my liner must have been moved a little and now, one of my edges is a little short.

For section of about 4 to 5 inches in length the edge is a bit too low and allows water to escape the flow of the waterfall. I cannot pull it back, already placed foam sealant else where in the waterfall everything seems "glued" pretty tight.

There is a large stone next to this edge and water comes from under not above. So my question is this... Could I poor Flex Seal or use Black foam along the edging to seal the gap between to rock and the edge? I was thinking poring a little Flex Seal liquid rubber in the gap.

Or must I dismantle everything, scrape off the black foam from all my rocks and start ALL over again? The thing I dread. lol.

The edge upstream is long enough and higher then the section with the leak, and the section below looks well sealed, no leaks from there and the liner is tightly nudged between t rocks, no water coming out at all. So the only section that is problematic is short and pretty shallow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Can you post a picture? A picture is worth a thousand words!

In short, you may be able to direct the water away from the low edge using foam and well placed rocks, but don't expect foam to provide a waterproof seal.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Can you post a picture? A picture is worth a thousand words!

In short, you may be able to direct the water away from the low edge using foam and well placed rocks, but don't expect foam to provide a waterproof seal.

Will post a picture tomorrow, but what you just told be confirms my worst fear, I will have to dismantle part of the waterfall to fix it... Crap... :-(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
flex seal is not safe for potable water. i wouldn't trust it for fish

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could let it dry, use my favorite pl roofing goop. It does not attach if wet. I also clean with alcohol or acetone. Take some rocks, goop a good amount along the edge, stick rocks in it, make sure the amount is enough to make a solid barrier. Let it dry for a bit, like a day or so. Even goop along the edge of the rocks after you stick them in, like doing a sloppy caulk job.

It is a permanent seal. I used it to seal pipes coming out of my stock tanks, seal parts of my water fall to direct water the right way. It is still holding many years later.

Wear throw away Gloves! that stuff will attach to your skin!

Just notice you are not usa, but I am sure your hardware stores will have something similar.

3b1a9cc2-2fce-4eae-898f-22f38190e4e1_1000.jpg

Reaction score
A picture will help, but is it possible to move a stone in such a way that it redirects the water? Or is it possible to dig some dirt out and move the liner in to make it higher or make the ground lower?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Did the best thing I could, dismantled the waterfall and started over. The liner was way too short on the one end, after careful examination today found out I had a longer stretch of edge that was too short anyway. Will post before and after pictures when I am done.

Thinks it's all for the best, I learn a lot making it the first time, made some mistakes (used a little too much foam, liner visible in some spots...) . So that gives me a chance to fix those as well.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I redid my waterfalls many times until I was happy with them.

Ask a Question