OK its happened, ick??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Written by Dr Erik Johnson
1. Remove valued live plants.
2. Raise temperature to 80 degrees, tops.
3. Increase aeration!
4. Add one teaspoon of salt per gallon.
5. Twelve hours later, add another one teaspoon of salt per gallon.
6. Twelve hours later, add another one teaspoon of salt per gallon.
7. Within 48-60 hours of the second salt dose at 80 degrees, the Ich will be gone.
8. Leave salt in the water for another 3-5 days unless you're worried about your live plants.
9. Remove salt via partial waterchanges. (30-40% at a time if desired).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Haver79 do you have a quarentine setup plus can you post a photo of the goldfish please I've a feeling they may well be breeding tubercles which are found on the gill covers and leadingedges of the fins , people sometimes mistake these for Ich

Dave
Dave I do have a 100 gal stock tank that has been sitting for a couple weeks. I have a couple lilies in it. No filtration yet. Water there is cool as it gets sun only part of the day. Below 50F I think.I could use that as a quarentine. I dont know if I can get a picture of the speckles or not. I would have to take a fish out of the pond I guess and put in a net or container. Its starting to get dark now so will try to get a pic tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I would not treat the pond if at all possible as the treatment is bad for the balance of your pond. It would be best to treat in a separate tank if possble.
Would rather move them if I have to treat the pond. It could be challenging trying to catch them once they figure out what Im trying to do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Written by Dr Erik Johnson
1. Remove valued live plants.
2. Raise temperature to 80 degrees, tops.
3. Increase aeration!
4. Add one teaspoon of salt per gallon.
5. Twelve hours later, add another one teaspoon of salt per gallon.
6. Twelve hours later, add another one teaspoon of salt per gallon.
7. Within 48-60 hours of the second salt dose at 80 degrees, the Ich will be gone.
8. Leave salt in the water for another 3-5 days unless you're worried about your live plants.
9. Remove salt via partial waterchanges. (30-40% at a time if desired).

Do Dad, Im too scared to use salt!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Ok so I managed to get a photo. Not the best but you can see on the center fish the spots. Also very hard to see but the spots are also on the very edge of several of his fins, specs are all in a row on the fins. Also on the orange fish above you can see a greyish area on the gill cover. Looks like a cluster of very tiny grey specs. Several of the fish have the same.

May 1014 016.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I dont think you have ich haver as these fish look happy as larry with no clamping of the fins nor is there any sign of stress i;e red lines in the fins or on he white of the fish which iis something we would be seeing right about now
We would also be seeing the fish totally covered top to bottom with ich spots which they are not ........
My ssuggestion for now would be to keep an eye on them get the stock tank converted to a permanent QT fasility then if your still unhappy , you can quickly catch the fish and get them into QT then treat accordingly , can you get a filter for the stock tank ( a most important thing as you need to filtrate it ) .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Well I will watch them and see if anything further develops or they start showing signs of stress. Thank you much for your help. Funny how you get such a feeling of dred and worry when you think something is wrong with your fishies. Inexpensive little goldfish to boot. :)
Will get my little filter going for my stock tank as soon as I can. Just in case.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
medicated food from dr foster and smith but I only used that because fish were stressed out from all the moving around from pond to take and takes back to pond .I usually use garlic in there food to help them feed but also use the vitamin booster I posted on here .It has been a stress full time for my fish with all that moving so I fed them a couple of pellets just to make sure they would not have picked up anything during that time .I take probiotics so fish can use them also

Attachments

• heat pump summer fish food 2014 019.JPG
    heat pump summer fish food 2014 019.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 251
Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a photo of my male Oranda with breeding stars showing on his pectoral fin. The stars are not showing on his gill covers at the time of this photo. Wish I would have pulled the camera out when I first noticed it. The green spots that look like they are on the fish are actually on the aquarium glass. I guess I need to do a good cleaning......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Thanks Betta, they do look similar to that only on dorsal fins too and gills and face of one. But the grey areas on the gills do concern me. Tried to take some more pictures tonight but couldnt get very clear ones.

May 2014 spots on gill covers 004.JPG
May 2014 spots on gill covers 025.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Betta, the spot is behind his eye and before/on the gill cover. Circular greyish area. I think it is on 2 of my fish. Wonder if they could be scrapes? I am keeping an eye on them.
I only have 11 goldies, ones a fry from last year. Pond is about 3000 gal. No I am not very good about water changes. Top the pond off regularly last year but have not done a major water change since last fall. Planned on doing one once the weather was a little more consistently warmer. Have fought leaves in the pond all spring. Finally think they have mostly all blown away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If those grey areas are in the gills themselves then this would be a major concern indeed but I think your seeing perfectly natural markings on the gill covers of your fish so try not to panic and read too much into things, gill covers are tough , they have to be to protect the delicate orgams underneath them.
The gill filaments themselves should be a bright red colour.
Water changes should be done on a regular basis , we drain 40% of ours each time for the waterchange, remember to also use a de-chlorinator/de-chloromine liquid water treatment , your filter should also need regular maintenamce too
Any detritus such as muck annd dead leaves must also be removed

Dave

Last edited:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I'd be willing to bet that what you see is breeding tubercles. More fish are killed by impropper medication than die of the percieved affliction!
John

Ask a Question