Old but New here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I told a lady at our local nursery that hostas did well as marginals. She really didn't believe me. :~)

We have hostas growing in our waterfall - they LOVE it! In the full sun, too, which everyone will tell you won't work for hostas.

We were at new local garden center and I asked if they had any plans to carry any pond plants - she said no, she didn't think they had room to display them. So I started pointing out to her all the plants that she already had that could grow in pond - things like cannas and papyrus and elephant ears and hostas, not to mention impatiens and creeping jenny and... well, you get the point! So why not set up a "pond plant" area and market the same plants to a whole different market? She looked at me like I had plants growing out of my ears. haha! Think outside of the box!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I would love to try Hosts in my pond
My pond is in full sun, should I look for a special more tolerant kind of Hosta?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Gemma - mine are just run of the mill garden variety hostas. haha! I really have no clue what variety they are, but I believe any hosta would do equally well.

I was thinning some out at my mom's house and decided to bring some home for my garden. When I ran out of spots to plant them I thought "what the heck" and stuck them into the waterfall at our negative edge. They do great - full sun, right up against some big rocks that get nice and hot. Here's a photo - the one on the left is a bit easier to see. The one on the right is a bit obscured by my big pot of salvia!

These were just stuck bare root right into the gravel and sit in water 100% of the time. A lot of good mucky stuff collects around the roots which is great - they are filtering and getting fed all at the same time! About a month after I took this picture I cut these both down by 2/3, as they had completely grown together and you couldn't see the waterfall or pond behind them anymore. This picture was taken in mid-August and you can see the look great in this full-sun all day location.

I did have a third plant in the basin that didn't do well - it was not in a spot where it was in the water all the time, so it struggled a bit and looked kind of shabby. The secret is the constant contact with the water.

hostas.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks, @Lisak1 ! I am so gonna try some Hostas in the pond this year!
Everything in your garden flow together, it looks beautiful, great job!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Haha! "Flows"! Thanks - this pictures makes it look a bit like a jungle. Which it is by August!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I always wanted to have chickens running around just so I could have super fresh farm eggs!
I have 4 10mos old pet hens, never thought I'd own chickens, never thought I could love them so much!...I wish I could let them run around, but mine wouldn't last a day if they were free ranged, too many predators around here

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 4 10mos old pet hens, never thought I'd own chickens, never thought I could love them so much!...I wish I could let them run around, but mine wouldn't last a day if they were free ranged, too many predators around here
I understand completely. I'm so attached to ours. Fortunately, we have a lot of trees for coverage so they're out all day.

Attachments

• Sammie (Sqwakie) and my flower.jpg
    Sammie (Sqwakie) and my flower.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 122

Ask a Question