One pond, one problem, how to fix it ? (run off)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you can dig a trench to divert the water and make it so any extra pond water flowed out of that one area, you can pile rocks, have piping with netting over the end etc to keep the fish in the pond. Without your entire pond overflowing the fish won't work their way out of the pond during high water incidents.
My overflow has a pile of rocks about a foot plus in and a foot plus wide. We get a river running out of the pond during really hard rains. (we gutter feed the pond) That keeps the fish in the pond

Rivermist said:
haha on my next house I'll have the land also... and will build the pond with no mistakes !
lmao this is my 6th pond and still made some mistakes.....................minor ones but still correction issues lol Each pond is so different the builds are different can still have issues.

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
When I build my pond I'm thinking of doing what Addy did. Letting the water run off into the pond then putting an overflow drain on the other end. One thing is recommended would be to place some marginal plants like cattails and pickerel where the water enters the pond to help filter out excess nutrients otherwise the pond water will become nasty. Then use a large fountain to aerate the water and promote aerobic bacteria to break down the sludge. Retention ponds are interesting but they do help with drainage.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fountainman, I don't get rain run off into the pond. But we do feed the gutters into the pond. When we get a good rain the pond does overflow via the overflow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
OMG thank you so much for all the replies. Addy... wow, thanks for the details that's what I needed... but it makes me wanna cry.. I feel like it's gonna take me forever to do it on my own... I'll figure it out.

I'll post a longer answer when I have a little more time... but I have two pics when my pond was looking nice with fish (yes we have fish and they had a lot of babies this year... :) ) frogs, snakes etc...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Unfortunately I am afraid there is not a good fix in your situation because of the location of this pond and the site condition around it. Take my advice and relocate the pond else where in the yard and you should make it bigger that this one. You will have years of enjoyment and envious friends .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Unfortunately I am afraid there is not a good fix in your situation because of the location of this pond and the site condition around it. Take my advice and relocate the pond else where in the yard and you should make it bigger that this one. You will have years of enjoyment and envious friends .
This is a post from 2013.

Ask a Question