Pond Pump problems need advise!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking for some advise. I have a 1200 Gallon Koi pond with a Artesian Performance Pro A 1/4-49 pump on it. The pump is about 8 years old and never has had any work done to it. it runs 24/7 eight months of the year. When the pump is primed and flowing it seems to be pushing sufficient water with no leaks or anything. The problem I am having is when the strainer basket gets a slight accumulation on the sides it stops pushing water. I have to turn off and clear to get going again--this is happening on a daily basis. Additionally, to get the thing to prime is a struggle, I am having to use a vacuum on the end to start pulling water to get it started. I took the pump apart and visually everything looks OK--no apparent damage to the impeller or anything.

My question is do parts of the pump wear with age and cause it to not have as much suction as when it was new. Are there parts I should be replacing to get it back to its old glory? I literally just drained my whole pond and gave it a full clean and that darn pump still quits working with the slightest bit of grunge on the strainer basket.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've got no good advice on pumps - just wanted to say welcome! Maybe some of our smarter, more mechanical ponders will stop in with some pump knowledge!

However, a brief internet search tells me you have a high quality (if price is any consideration!) pump. I think I would contact either the company I bought it from or the manufacturer for some advice. They may be able to tell you easily whether it needs repair or just some operational tweaking.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome!
Yes, pumps wear with age and become less efficient. It depends on what conditions they have been operating in.
Check with your supplier for repair/replacement parts.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad to hear as I just installed the same manufacturer but a little higher water volume. it's so quiet its no louder then a room fan literally and its pushing 12,000 gph

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you could install a sieve before the strainer basket to diffuse the debris from clogging the grates of the strainer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
How about a pre-filter to collect the heavier debris before it gets to the pump? Then maybe you can clean that pre-filter without shutting off the pump and having to prime it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Or add an inline exterior filter and a diverter valve. This way you can switch the diverter to bypass the filter while you clean it and never have to turn off the pump. By adding a filter you won't be clogging up that strainer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How about a pre-filter to collect the heavier debris before it gets to the pump? Then maybe you can clean that pre-filter without shutting off the pump and having to prime it.
that's what the sieve is it's just a barrel or similar that has two pipes one feed, one return and the debris is allowed to settle to a much larger area or basket giving a larger window but it has to be at the same level as the pond

Ask a Question