Only lily pads no flower. Why?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
paper towel.

Just an observing point that most countries in Asia (probably all), Paper towel is not well known, and quite expensive ;)

Harshit, I think your lily is doing well and that you can only patiently wait for them to flower. What is your area normal temperature though? Does it get enough sun? I just got a tropical lilies this year but after 3 months it's now sent a few flowers already. But when i got mine it was quite big already, it's in full sun. I didnt put any fertilizer for my water lily plants, but i have fish in my pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
It is very pretty like it is. Looking forward to seeing what kind of flower it has. I agree with others. They will come. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Its a night bloom tropical waterlily. A couple of handfuls of wood ash will get blooms firing up

Put the ash in a plastic bag, let it sink where the lily is, poke some holes for it to leach out steady

High salt levels, high water temps over 95f, high alkalinity could inhibit its growth rate

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Just an observing point that most countries in Asia (probably all), Paper towel is not well known, and quite expensive ;)
Lol..Its nothing like what you think, they're dirt cheep here. You can check on amazon india ;)

Harshit, I think your lily is doing well and that you can only patiently wait for them to flower. What is your area normal temperature though? Does it get enough sun? I just got a tropical lilies this year but after 3 months it's now sent a few flowers already. But when i got mine it was quite big already, it's in full sun. I didnt put any fertilizer for my water lily plants, but i have fish in my pond.
Yeah now I think they're doing quit well here..and I think it'll give some blooms this week only.
The temperature currently is around 35'c but in summer it gets 50'c sometimes. Yea it gets around 8hrs of direct sun daily.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Its a night bloom tropical waterlily. A couple of handfuls of wood ash will get blooms firing up

Put the ash in a plastic bag, let it sink where the lily is, poke some holes for it to leach out steady

High salt levels, high water temps over 95f, high alkalinity could inhibit its growth rate
Lets see then..I've observed 2 flower buds today only by sticking my hand around its crown, because the water has became so green after RAINS.

But WOOOD ASH? never heard this before. If it really works that way, I would really love to try it to boost those blooms.
But I have fishes. How will it work with poked plastic bag?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Lol..Its nothing like what you think, they're dirt cheep here. You can check on amazon india ;)
It's becoming more and more normal but it's still not a common household object in Thailand. You can find them in cities. You can find cheap ones in towns that have tourists and 7/11.
My parents (live in Thailand) would have a few in their house and it'll last probably a few years or sit there gathering dust as they feel wasteful using them instead of a normal cloth.

gblazzo

gblazzo
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Harshit I'm just now reading this for the 1st time in late November and wondering if your plant ever bloomed, I have the same trouble here with my lilypads not flowering as much as I would like. The lady at my local pond store told me that lilypads need to be at a particular depth in order to grow the flowers we want. I guess if it's too deep the plant uses all it energy growing it's pads to the surface because it wants the sunlight, so maybe try to raise it up a little closer to the surface. It's something you can research on the internet in your spare time. I didn't bother doing it myself because most of mine are not in pots, they are just rooted to the bottom. Great looking plant I must tell you , huge pads, good job!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Harshit I'm just now reading this for the 1st time in late November and wondering if your plant ever bloomed, I have the same trouble here with my lilypads not flowering as much as I would like. The lady at my local pond store told me that lilypads need to be at a particular depth in order to grow the flowers we want. I guess if it's too deep the plant uses all it energy growing it's pads to the surface because it wants the sunlight, so maybe try to raise it up a little closer to the surface. It's something you can research on the internet in your spare time. I didn't bother doing it myself because most of mine are not in pots, they are just rooted to the bottom. Great looking plant I must tell you , huge pads, good job!
Yeah, they bloomed within 1 or 2 weeks after posting this thread.
However the depth was not the problem as my pond is not more than 3ft deep and the container was place below 30cm of the surface. Actually I wanted to lower the container but there was not enough space to place it. I think it takes time to develop the leaf and root system properly first then it starts blooming.

Now around a month ago the lily pads were getting smaller and smaller in size. I observed for few days and then took the container our and started digging it.
The whole container was heavily filled with roots, so I had to remove the roots and replace the sand and fertilizer. I used compost this time, just to check if it works for lilies.
Now the new pads growing are like the ones shown in the first picture, when it was planted in tub.

You may find it crazy, but something similar I've observed in tomatoes also, ones grown in small pot with less soil less water. started giving flower earlier and also started fruits so early. while the plants were not looking so healthy.
And the plants grown in ground with proper soil and watering, are so huge and healthy before starting the flowers, they're getting taller and taller. (I've only used some vermicompost for both and nothing else)

Ask a Question