Opinions on adding salt to pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I consider what I said to be on topic.
When any of us have a pond, it also affects the environment around it, including how we deal with wastes from the pond.
This forum is one that respects all opinions.
If members do not respect each others opinions, then those members do not last long around here.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I consider what I said to be on topic.
When any of us have a pond, it also affects the environment around it, including how we deal with wastes from the pond.
This forum is one that respects all opinions.
If members do not respect each others opinions, then those members do not last long around here.
Thanks.

Are you trying to be some kind of internet tough guy? Some keyboard commando? The topic was to salt the pond or not. It had nothing to do with how draining the pond would affect the environment. I would respect your opinion whether i agreed with it or not if you stayed on topic. Don't be a passive aggressive keyboard commando

Reaction score
I'd say Mitch is closer to being on topic then the majority of this thread. Most of the posts are about pond muck, at least Mitch was talking about pond salt, and gave his opinion regarding the inevitable disposal of it. Instead of getting uptight about it why not just ignore it or reply that you are not too concerned about it.

Don't worry, be happy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave if not draining the pond is more beneficial than draining it maybe I will consider a pond vac. How often do you vacuum the pond and do you have any suggestions on a good pond vac?

Edit: I just did some internet research and found a Pondovac 4 that has great reviews. The price of $350 is a little steep but if its a quality machine, will clean out the pond and prevent me from doing complete pond cleanouts I think it may be worth it. Im debating on starting a thread on what people think of pond vacs but Im sure it will create strong opinions to come out on both sides and it will just leave me confused on whether to use a vacuum or not...
Acctually I dont use a pond Vac having a 4" bottom drain on the pond with three industry sized vortex style filters and a bio barrel filter k1 Aquaone bioballs and bio chips
But I'm a strong believer that ponds need a bi annual clean spring /late Autumn putting your fish in good stead for both winter and spring but thats just our opinion it works for us doing a tri annual filter clean spring mid summr late autumn and our oldest koi is now 28+ years old.

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
No personnel attacks please. Opinions are just that opinions. We all have them, we don't always agree. No need to go on the attack.

Get the thread back on track, no attacks.

Addy. I apologize. I was just annoyed because Mitch was talking about sodium like it was Valvoline. I believed it was a little off topic of what the thread was intended for

Ask a Question