Opinions on adding salt to pond

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You might try a pool net, with very fine mesh. I bought one this year and am amazed how it collects "stuff" without stirring stuff up. I also like the long handle.

My pond sits under a cedar tree, that drops a lot of fine debris.
I use a pool skimmer net and it does a good job with muck.

Reaction score
Here is a video I took of the bio-layer that has developed on the liner in my pond. You can see me scratching through the layers to expose the liner underneath. This is a South facing vertical wall that is close to the surface and gets maximum sunlight and algae growth.
This bio growth is beneficial, and a good thing.
Also, although my screen name is Mucky_Waters, you might notice that my pond water is generally pretty clear unless I get in there and start mucking around. :p

I certainly hope your pond water has cleared up a little since this picture was taken. ;)
image-jpg.84912

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Jersey_Marine, if you drain your pond every year, where do you drain it to?
If you drain it into the back forest, the forest plants are going to suffer from the 50 pounds of salt added to their soil every year.

Reaction score
To be fair, Jersey is only asking about adding salt to his pond in this thread, he hasn't said he actually adds it to his pond.
There are a number of reasons I wouldn't bother adding it to my pond, but I know there are people out there that do add a significant level of salt to their ponds and their fish seem to be fine. For sure it's not good for a lot of plants though. The people I know who like to keep their pond water salted generally don't have many plants.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I know he's not adding salt to his pond right now, but disposal of the salted water is something I think should be taken into consideration before the salt is added.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
How does he KNOW this? See, what you [not YOU, but people in general] have to understand is the "cause and effect" mentality. There are so many factors that go into having a healthy pond, and everyone does things different. We tend to do what works for us, in our situation. And no 2 ponds are alike. So who can really say what the magic, secret ingredient is.....? Personally, I'm a fan of science -- show me studies that prove/disprove, or give me a good, scientific-based rationale . I never add salt and as far as I know, I don't have parasite problems. Yes, salt will stimulate the slime coat, but again, there should be enough "salt" in the source water [from the tap or well] to fill any needs the fish would have. If someone's water was in question, they can always have it tested for those elements.

And some people do add salt and swear by it....and they never have a problem.

In the end, you have to make that decision on your own, based on whatever "evidence" works for you [again, using the generic "you"].

The absolute best thing anyone can do for their pond is to keep it clean and maintain the best water quality possible [and always quarantine new fish!]. That's the real secret to parasite-free fish.

As to the "parasite" issue, again, think "over use of antibiotics." Let's say your fish are constantly being bathed in brine [like the "experts" recommend]. Then a problem pops up that a "salt dip" or "salt bath" would normally take care of. But, those darn little parasites that are bothering your fish are now resistent to a very simple, harmless, and inexpensive method of treatment. Which means you have to try other things.....treatments that might NOT be simple, harmless, or inexpensive. Just saying.......

And back to the "cause and effect" mentality....... Here's a story I've always liked. Grandma passes down her recipe for the most delicious post roast ever..... Grandma got it from Great-Granny, etc. So the daughters have followed the recipe religiously over the years. Step one says to cut the ends off the roast. Always been done.....never questioned.....delicious roast.....gotta do what the recipe says. One holiday all the family is together for a meal and Grandma decides to help in the kitchen. She see's Granddaughter chopping off that beautiful meat, so she asks what gives? Grandaughter says, "Well, Granny, that's what we've always done so it must be the 'secret ingredient'." Then Granny starts to laugh and tells G-daughter that the reason Great-Granny cut off the ends of the roast? Her pan wasn't big enough to hold a whole roast.......

The cooked roast was so good.....no one ever questioned the rationale......therefore, cutting off the ends of the meat is what made the roast taste so good.

Hmm, now I'm hungry! :)

All salt simply was, was the first cure all in fish keeping, it has no place in a pond as both koi and goldfish are fresh water not brackish.
Its a fact that if you salt your pond you get parasites building up a resistence to it, so in reality the only good place for salt is in a salt water dip or in a dedicated QT fasility nowhere else .
Yes there are those who swear by it but personally we never would .
As to draining your pond to clean it whats wrong with buying a pond Vac ?

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Jersey_Marine, if you drain your pond every year, where do you drain it to?
If you drain it into the back forest, the forest plants are going to suffer from the 50 pounds of salt added to their soil every year.

This is the petty nonsense that annoys me about message board forums. First of all nobody said I had salt in my pond and second of all if I drained my 5,000 gallon pond with 50 pounds of salt in the woods onto low growing weed vegetation it would be as significant as peeing in the ocean. Youre statement seemed as though I was dumping motor oil into a forest. Its not healthy sweating small stuff in life. Putting some salted water onto some low growing weeds in a wooded area isn't something to sweat about...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
All salt simply was, was the first cure all in fish keeping, it has no place in a pond as both koi and goldfish are fresh water not brackish.
Its a fact that if you salt your pond you get parasites building up a resistence to it, so in reality the only good place for salt is in a salt water dip or in a dedicated QT fasility nowhere else .
Yes there are those who swear by it but personally we never would .
As to draining your pond to clean it whats wrong with buying a pond Vac ?

Dave

Dave if not draining the pond is more beneficial than draining it maybe I will consider a pond vac. How often do you vacuum the pond and do you have any suggestions on a good pond vac?

Edit: I just did some internet research and found a Pondovac 4 that has great reviews. The price of $350 is a little steep but if its a quality machine, will clean out the pond and prevent me from doing complete pond cleanouts I think it may be worth it. Im debating on starting a thread on what people think of pond vacs but Im sure it will create strong opinions to come out on both sides and it will just leave me confused on whether to use a vacuum or not...

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think robamy uses the pondvac 3 he says it does great, you might want to ask him to make sure I have the right one.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would guess if you have to use a pond vacuum you have to .I know a lot of places have them on sale now .I would look to see if there are video's on you tube of them to see one working and compare prices and energy cost plus look at cost of repair parts and warranty's .Look at what parts come with it in the hose line and length of hose and power cord

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
This is the petty nonsense that annoys me about message board forums. First of all nobody said I had salt in my pond and second of all if I drained my 5,000 gallon pond with 50 pounds of salt in the woods onto low growing weed vegetation it would be as significant as peeing in the ocean. Youre statement seemed as though I was dumping motor oil into a forest. Its not healthy sweating small stuff in life. Putting some salted water onto some low growing weeds in a wooded area isn't something to sweat about...

I don't consider what I said to be petty nonsense, Jersey_Marine.
You asked for opinions, you got one.
If you're not prepared for the answers, then don't ask the question.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't consider what I said to be petty nonsense, Jersey_Marine.
You asked for opinions, you got one.
If you're not prepared for the answers, then don't ask the question.

I didnt ask opinions about how salt would affect the brush in the wooded area when the pond was drained. Stay on topic and don't share your opinions regarding something unrelated to the topic

Ask a Question