Optimum Water Quality Question/KH GH - Koi

Reaction score
Newbie question: :) We have an 8-month old 6,000 gallon pond with waterfalls - the plants (lilies) and 'test' goldfish have wintered over since last October just fine. The pond has a rock-covered liner, with mortared rocks along the top sides for stability (not bottom levels) and waterfall, deepest section is almost 4 feet. We did a vinegar treatment to all exposed mortar last fall, and then a vinegar/water soak and running falls for 3 weeks, then a couple of complete water changes before ever adding the goldfish last fall. The ph levels have been fairly consistent since then.

We've introduced 9 baby koi a week ago (4.5 - 6"), and one 'wild' 11-1/2" koi (caught from neighbor's wild pond) 2 weeks ago. All are eating and generally seem to be doing OK. We have recently noticed some intermittent 'flashing' with some of the baby koi and goldfish - noticed several times in the later afternoon/evening, and checking today around noon I didn't see any of that this time.

I'm wondering if the occasional flashing may be due to water quality fluctuations, or potential parasites building up. (We also have a few frog inhabitants as well, and of course the visiting birds love to drink and bathe....). I've been also researching adding salt to the pond and how much, but have not done that yet -- and should we just to be on the safe side?

Q. I've been trying to find out what the OPTIMAL water conditions are for koi to thrive and remain healthy in general - I've got several variations to that from online searches; I'm hoping that some experts here online can help me with that.

We have naturally hard well water - here are the readings from the pond water as of noon today using a multi-test strip:

Temp: 60 degrees (has been as high as 69 about a week ago)
PH: 7.5
NO2: 0
NO3: 0
GH: 120
KH: 240 (is this a little high?)

Add salt....??

Thanks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would get a liquid test kit, my strips read so different from the liquid. The readings may be totally different.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
your levels look pretty good although I would expect to see some reading of NO3 (nitrate)
the KH is a little high but I wouldn't mess with it. It will naturally drop some as the pond ages and this is going to keep your PH more stable. Check your fish closely for parasites, Easiest way is shine a bright flash light on them at night. Look for what appears to be small bumps or salt apperance on them.these are a couple of the most common. If you don't see either watch for heavy breathing. I would salt at least to a level of .1%-..3% If there is some flashing still at that level then you may need to actually catch one and get a skin scape. If that is the case your going to need to find someone that knows how to use a mircroscope and preferably a vet as if medications are needed you need to know exactly what your treating before treating with medications, treat with the wrong thing and it can make it harder to treat the initial problem if you have used a medication that was unneeded.

Ask a Question