j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ham is ok and mushrooms great but not that darn sweet pine apple, nope and no way!

Who's big idea was it to put that sweet fruit on a pizza?

Sam Panopoulos of Chatham, ON in 1962

There aren’t many people that are indifferent to pineapple as a pizza topping. You probably either love it or hate it.

5310253329_2e3901642c_b-1024x768.jpg

It’s not really an obvious topping choice. Nearly all other standard toppings are either a meat or a vegetable. Pineapple is a fruit. You wouldn’t put cherries on a pizza would you? Watermelon? No. So why pineapple?

The first step in getting a sense of that the first person was thinking, we’d have to figure out who that person is. A simple Google search leads us quickly to the answer. The inventor of the pineapple pizza was none other than Greek-Canadian Sam Panopoulos.

In 1962 Sam operated a restaurant in Chatham Ontario (a little west of Toronto) with his two brothers and came up with the idea to put canned pineapple and ham on a pizza and call it “hawaiian pizza”.

“We just put it on, just for the fun of it, see how it was going to taste,” Panopoulos told the BBC. “We were young in the business and we were doing a lot of experiments.”
BBC News – June 9, 2017 (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40230407)
Apparently, he had experience with making Chinese dishes which commonly feature a mix of sweet and savoury flavours, and thought it was worth a try.

They named it Hawaiian pizza after the brand of canned pineapple used on the pie.
Time Magazine, June 11, 2017 (https://time.com/4814056/hawaiian-pizza-pineapple-sam-panopoulos-death/)
The residents of Chatham seemingly didn’t have the aversion to pineapple on their pizza that many do today and the idea took off. Hawaiian pizza is now a staple at pizza restaurants throughout Canada.

Sam Panopoulos passed away in June of 2017.

Sam died of Pineapple Pizza poisoning by the way! (Just kidding from j.w, lol!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
white pizza(so no tomatos) cheese with herbs(i used philadelphia with herbs), grilled courgettes(pieces), mozzarella and slices of lard... tried 1 time in Liguria and turned into my prefer pizza.

Next time i ll go to restaurant close to my home i need check the pizza that i get there...forgot all ingredients...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can eat anything on pizza except anchovies and pepperoni, (tummy does not like it)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for all nice info...but i still remain of my opinion, ban it from toppin a pizza -.-
ya know, Shelly says she'll eat YOUR piece, Dime; says you're being a bit of a pizza snow but she still luvs ya!

Any thoughts about Marguerita pizza? MrsBrokensword wants to know if you make one and if so, can ya run one over????? heh heh! Ain't even kiddin'!! Like someone's typin' over my shoulder or sumthin'!!

JDuB? your thoughts on Marguerita pizza?

And I laughed when you added how he *died*!!! Wouldn't that be one of those stories 'you can't make up?'
stpirate.gif

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
ya know, Shelly says she'll eat YOUR piece, Dime; says you're being a bit of a pizza snow but she still luvs ya!

Any thoughts about Marguerita pizza? MrsBrokensword wants to know if you make one and if so, can ya run one over????? heh heh! Ain't even kiddin'!! Like someone's typin' over my shoulder or sumthin'!!

JDuB? your thoughts on Marguerita pizza?

And I laughed when you added how he *died*!!! Wouldn't that be one of those stories 'you can't make up?'
View attachment 145763
Dude.............what is a pizza snow? Did you mean snob? Marguerita pizza would be nice but I like keeping the brain cells I have left now so I think I would pass unless she has a few that she could replace mine with :cool:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Dude.............what is a pizza snow? Did you mean snob? Marguerita pizza would be nice but I like keeping the brain cells I have left now so I think I would pass unless she has a few that she could replace mine with :cool:
yeppa; fingers too fast fer me wee widdle brain; I fixed! Never had a Marguerita pizza? I've tried it, not too bad but not my lane, ya know? Ain't no alky in the pizza though, so your Queen's dollup of cells would still be a rockin' and a rollin' after a piece!

stXms.gif

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
yeppa; fingers too fast fer me wee widdle brain; I fixed! Never had a Marguerita pizza? I've tried it, not too bad but not my lane, ya know? Ain't no alky in the pizza though, so your Queen's dollup of cells would still be a rockin' and a rollin' after a piece!

View attachment 145767
I looked up the M pizza, looks like all veggies and cheese. I would eat it if I had no other meat pizza's in the whole world to dig into. Pineapple I would have to be starvin at deaths door!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Almost over but last one for the year!

Merry Christmas all you fish lovers!

in answer to your lil sharkie with the toothpick inna his mouth...(btw, LOVELY lil anigif!!)

stpirate.gif

tumblr_mmxxbctUup1rgfd86o1_500.gif

okies, here tis; better let me and Dime handle the tilller for a bitsy, aye, Cap'n Queenie!

Kraken2.gif

Last edited:

Ask a Question