Our and Our Ponds’ Friend, Hornwort

Reaction score
Pacific Grove (Monterey Peninsula), California
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United States
Let’s talk Hornwort :)

1. How many bunches of hornwort should go into my 1,000 gal. Pond?

2. What size (Depth, width, length) and type of plastic pot (holes all over, 1 hole at bottom, no hole)?

3. How much space between each plant?! How many should go into each container?

4. Ok to plant them in a container with just clay kitty litter or small pebbles?

My pond, goldfish, mosquito fish, aquatic plants and I thank you for your time and help!

Happy ponding and best to all,
Rona in Pacific Grove California on the beautiful Monterey Peninsula

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Welcome!
Sorry, I don't know a lot about hornwort, but I'll follow and learn.

I have lots of different plants, but none that grow up from the bottom of the pond. I think it would give the pond a nice natural look. I think the fish would like it too.

I think addy has a ton of it in one of her ponds. I think it's hornwort.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
1. How many bunches of hornwort should go into my 1,000 gal. Pond?

--best to think this way; since the underwater plants give O2 during the day but take it in at night, you don't want to have so much that your fish might suffer on hot, summer days, so I'd recommend 1/3 bottom coverage. Hornwort is going to multiply, unless your fish help keep it in control. You'll have to monitor this situation.

2. What size (Depth, width, length) and type of plastic pot (holes all over, 1 hole at bottom, no hole)?

-- doesn't matter; use whatever you want. If you get too large a container, it might be hard to bring up (if you're so inclined; I know I put mine in both pots as well as single strands attached to rocks to eventually naturalize in the bottom, though there's only a shallow layer of gravel in which to anchor).

3. How much space between each plant?! How many should go into each container?

--again, doesn't matter; do what you think is visually pleasing. If it multiplies, you'll not have any space at all! I put pieces that break and are floating into pots as is.

4. Ok to plant them in a container with just clay kitty litter or small pebbles?

--yes, that's what I do--use kitty litter that doesn't clump nor is scented.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just tossed into my pond, I have a pretty forest of it in the deep end. The fish love it, started out with just a bundle of it

Reaction score
We didn't have much luck with our hornwort the two previous times we used it. The koi would destroy it and we would find the remnants a few weeks later. The goldfish we had didn't care for it - always the koi for us.
Might have to try it again since we have some different koi and different goldfish/shubunkin now.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I had some in my pond w/my fish and it just disappeared. Not sure if the fish ate it all or what? Might have got sucked up by my pre-filters. Maybe it does not like strong currents too?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I’m like addy, just toss hornwort, anacharis, and other underwater plants in my ponds. If you get it in the right spot one bunch will spread unbelievably fast. My large koi pond the only reason any makes it in there, is because I have planting beds that the koi cant get at it easily. The other is the smaller turtle/shubunkins pond, is loaded with the stuff by June so I just weed it back and keep tossing masses of it into the large koi pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The stuff grew like gang busters in my pond. Threw 5 small bunches in and quickly had a jungle. Fortunately it's very easy to control. It does not set roots like an iris or Lilly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some yes some no. A elastic band or twine wrapped around a rock and your on the bottom

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I thought hornwort has no roots? The bunches I have are free floating and rootless
They have real fine white roots.

well per the net not real roots:

Hornwort lacks true roots, but certain leaves function to help anchor the plant in the substrate. It may also grow rhizoids (hair-like roots) to help anchor the plant. If left to its own devices, anchored stems could grow all the way up to the surface of your tank with 0-3 branches per node.

Ask a Question