Our StayCation

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I absolutely love these type of videos of folk's ponds. Truly portrays the beauty of this hobby. Quite nice. :)

Reaction score
DSCF3289_zps53ec9a4a.jpg

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
StayCation. You got that right.

I say... why have to leave when ya can create your paradise at home. :)

Keep the pics coming. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Your photo's and video's are mesmerizing EH and when in the first part of the video when the little bird was in the water and the music changed I thought to myself.....................That is dangerous cat music!.............and lo and behold there hidden in the bush was a CAT!!! Are you a producer of wildlife or Nat Geo shows cuz you sure do good work!

Reaction score
Thanks guys... No I’m no professional...lol, just a guy who loves ponds and photography. I take pictures and videos all summer and look at them all winter. Some of these older videos have some different music in them than what one might expect. My son is in school for percussion and composition. Most of the music he has written and I just incorporate them into the videos.
It really is a StayCation. We built our pond to have a natural cottage / wildlife feel to it. Where we live in Toronto you need to travel a good distance to get out into Cottage Country, and the traffic here is silly. It is nice to have all this wildlife right in our backyard where we can just sit back and enjoy it without driving for several hours.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So those plants are just growing in stuff on the bottom of your pond or are they being held down by rocks? Is that the Myrophillium plant that is growing all over down there or is plant roots? Looks like a natural pond bottom down there.

Reaction score
I am not sure what the plant is. It is a local plant and has been doing well. In the picture attached you can see the rock I have on the bottom. I have been removing much of it as it collects more debris than I like. I thought I might be ok using the flat flagstone, but I still find myself removing more and more. The whole shelf is lined with a piece of filter cloth and the plant pops up wherever it can. On recent pictures and vids you can see a big mass of it at the base of the waterfall. It looks really pretty from under the water. It really does look like a natural bottom but there really is not much sludge down there.

Attachments

• aepond 006.jpg
    aepond 006.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 180

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well whatever it is I like it and so the plant attaches it's roots to the cloth? If that's the case then that's a neat idea to put on my plant shelves so maybe some of my plants will grab ahold and stay put w/o a pot. Could then just lay a rock/plant pot or something to keep the cloth from moving.I've got my eye on some plants at a lake not far from here and just need to drag myself over there to scoop some out. It rains so much here and I don't like getting soaked.

Reaction score
I took that plant from a waterway where my parents live. I had always been warned to never do this as you could add unwanted things to your pond. The great lakes and other waterways in Ontario have been infested with zebra mussels. They are little things but could make a total mess of a pond and equipment of were ever introduced. When I took some of this plant I washed it thoroughly and inspected it for any unwanted critters. I guess it was a gamble, but at the end of the day it worked for me. All my other plants I have bought from stores. It just did not make sense buying oxygenators every year when a local plant would winter over.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I and my hubby went on a hunt for Anacharis in a local drainage pond last Summer and got a bunch of it. I have it in various tubs around the property cuz if I put it all in the pond the piggy goldfish will devour it all! We also find Azolla and Duckweed in nearby ponds. I've also discovered Water Cress grows in the ditches along side the roads here. Just need to be careful that no cows are nearby as they can transmit some kind of bacteria or disease if their feces gets in the plants water. There is some other kind of plant that spreads over the top of the water but it roots in the soil in the ditches. I've brought it home too and just let it float on the surface of the pond. It doesn't last long tho as I think the fish eat it all. Easy to get more,just need to make sure and rinse all this stuff really well.

Reaction score
Every afternoon this frog would come out of the pond and jump into this pot. He would spend a few hours in the centre of the plant and eat bugs. One day we saw the plant moving so I went over to investigate and he was right in there. After that we would watch for him.

DSC_2664_zps85c61c1f.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emergency Dentist Katy Te

Latest Threads