Overwintering Pond Plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am in Michigan where it drops below zero degrees through winter. I have a few pond plants I’d like to bring inside and try to save for next year. It’s not that they’re expensive to repurchase but they are incredibly hard to find around here! I like to have 1/3 of my pond covered in plants and trying to locate them has proven to be a big pain. I currently have some water lettuce, water hyacinth, and rain lily plants that will not survive winter. Any helpful tips on how to keep them inside for a few months! Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in Michigan where it drops below zero degrees through winter. I have a few pond plants I’d like to bring inside and try to save for next year. It’s not that they’re expensive to repurchase but they are incredibly hard to find around here! I like to have 1/3 of my pond covered in plants and trying to locate them has proven to be a big pain. I currently have some water lettuce, water hyacinth, and rain lily plants that will not survive winter. Any helpful tips on how to keep them inside for a few months! Thanks!
Hi Angela, I have successfully overwintered pond plants for the same reasons you state.
There are two surefire ways to keep water hyacinth. One is for just maintaining what you have the other is for propagation. Both use a ten-gallon aquarium or clear container.
Maintenance: south or west window location, warm water (about 80 F constant...not cold at night) supplemental lighting during short photoperiod of December - February. Misting twice daily is important. The plants will typically get smaller which is no problem but watch for signs of decay like yellow or gooey leaves. In that case, you might need to add a small amount of aquarium plant fertilizer or increase light intensity.
Propagation: same conditions as above but add a three inch layer of fresh potting soil to the tank and keep the water level so that the plants roots extend to the soil. You will need intense lighting and supplemental fertilizer. I put a diluted solution of plant fertilizer in a spray bottle and mist the plants. They really like that.
Water lettuce can be kept going by floating it in an extremely brightly illuminated aquarium. I use a block of styrofoam the width of the tank to keep the water lettuce directly under the light. The filter current will otherwise push the plant into a dimly lit corner. First, cut a hole in the middle of the styrofoam and wedge it between the tank’s sides. Drop the water lettuce in the hole. Mist the plant twice daily.
The most important part of overwintering your floating plants is careful reintroduction into the pond. This is where most failures occur. The plants don’t like cold water so make sure your pond water is warm. I recommend 70 F. And most importantly, slowly acclimate them to the sunshine. Introduction to bright sunlight without a gentle acclimation will kill them for certain. Sorry for the long answer (that’s what you get from a retired columnist :) ) but the above works. Good luck.
Stephen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Great answer @Stephen Noble!

@AngelaM - I think the two most important parts of the equation are light and heat. Water lettuce and water hyacinth do best when the water is warm in the long, hot, sunny days. If you can replicate that, you'll be successful.

Both of these plants are slowly being banned for sale in the midwest - have they been banned in Michigan?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use a stock tank and a fish tank and a aerator from walmart and a grow light bulb and been doing this for over 8 years now and even last year the reseeded onto my lily plant root ball .
100_4521.JPG
100_4520.JPG

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As @Lisak1 brought up, these plants are illegal for sale in many areas, in Louisiana and most of the Southern, coastal states for example, and for that reason alone it would be nice to be able to overwinter them. But I have read where lots and lots of people have tried but failed — many more failures than successes. There is absolutely no reason why you couldn’t try it, though. Of the success stories, those people usually had a “greenhouse” type set up, usually in a basement (I’m jealous as we don’t have those in LA). I think air temperature and humidity are equal factors along with water temp. and lighting. I didn’t keep WH this year, but when I have, I’ve noticed a decline starting around this time of year. My guess is that’s due to lighting.

Good luck and keep us posted!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
if there is air stone in the water and light they can survive .I freshen my water by siphoning some out and putting in new and the grow LED bulbs are great compared to the old bulbs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
if there is air stone in the water and light they can survive .I freshen my water by siphoning some out and putting in new and the grow LED bulbs are great compared to the old bulbs

Do you use the long shop lights or the big round ones?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Great answer @Stephen Noble!

@AngelaM - I think the two most important parts of the equation are light and heat. Water lettuce and water hyacinth do best when the water is warm in the long, hot, sunny days. If you can replicate that, you'll be successful.

Both of these plants are slowly being banned for sale in the midwest - have they been banned in Michigan?

No they’re not banned in Michigan. I purchased both from greenhouses but they were over two hours away from me. I just don’t want to have to drive two hours next year for pond plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I purchased both from greenhouses but they were over two hours away from me. I just don’t want to have to drive two hours next year for pond plants.

Gotcha! They sell them everywhere near me - even nurseries that don't supply pond plants have them in their little fountain displays. But you can't buy them in WI or, soon I hear, in Chicago. We will see! It's silly because there's literally no chance they could survive and move into natural waterways here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Gotcha! They sell them everywhere near me - even nurseries that don't supply pond plants have them in their little fountain displays. But you can't buy them in WI or, soon I hear, in Chicago. We will see! It's silly because there's literally no chance they could survive and move into natural waterways here.

Yes that’s very odd! I wonder what the reasoning is.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just got my 29 gallon aquarium cleaned out from raising monarch butterflies so it will now be used to try to over winter my 2 tropical night blooming lilies. Its directly in front of a west facing window but that room stays fairly cool so hoping they will be somewhat dormant and not try to escape the tank.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I too live in Michigan and have installed a pond in my basement with lights to remove plants and overwinter in our cold climate. The water hyacinths made it through 2 winters in my 55 degree basement under LED growlights!!! Here’s a picture of my setup

Attachments

• CA244A6E-3230-4F50-AF85-C74A113184A4.jpeg
    CA244A6E-3230-4F50-AF85-C74A113184A4.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 230
Reaction score
Country
United States
8F95303C-9E1C-4354-B6DC-355E24619F3F.jpeg
Here’s a pic with the lights out because the other one is hard to make out anything!!

Ask a Question