PERGOLA OVER POND, IDEAS?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
These are just a few images that caught my eye. One that I can't find now, was of a slanted roof-pergola (maybe it was a lean-to design) that looked interesting. Will probable either go with the slant-roof or curved-roof since leaves would be less likely to collect.

Another thing I have to keep in mind is that I will also be working part of the turtle habitat into the design, but where the netting would hang down on the other sides, it can't hang down where the turtles are or they could climb it (or get tangled). Have some ideas for that, too, though. And of course, the pond is an irregular shape, so....

I GOOGLED PVC or vinyl fence posts, and these are available in heights of 6-8', but not sure how structurally sound they would be in this type of application. Also looked at PVC Pergola kits, and they are WAY out of my price range.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Something simple with not too much roof -- just enough for structural support and to hold netting. Also "black" or a dark color would be nice. Once the "structure" was there, was wondering about using PVC pipe (a narrow diameter) to form the roof.

image.jpgimage.jpg
Curved or slanted roof.

image.jpg
I thought this one was ADORABLE, but not practical.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
At sams club theres are not to expensive and they sell those new ground anchors for the pvc ones .Those you are showing would cost a couple of thousand to build .I saw the one you are talking about and with plans and have seen them done and some of the pvc pipe they put electrical conduit inside the pipe to make them stronger and sturdier .Home depot in there store had a plan for one free and said it cost less than 300 dollars to build for a 10x10 .I wish i had picked up the plan

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Since you want this in black, why not go with ABS rather than PVC? Both flex, and will need some kind of support. I believe ABS is the cheaper of the two.
John

Ask a Question