PERGOLA OVER POND, IDEAS?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have an idea brewing, and looking for ideas & insights to help flesh it out. Was thinking about building a pergola-type structure over the pond [or having one built, not actually as a DIY].

1. The purpose of this pergola would be to act as a framework for bird & leaf nettings.

2. I want it to look attractive, and like it belongs there, but.....

3. I don't want it to detract from the pond, and....

4. I want it to look "professional," not just something thrown together [which is what most of my projects end up like]

5. I don't want it to block much sunlight [pond needs all it can get].

6. I was thinking of a rounded/domed or slanted "roof" so that leaves wouldn't collect on the top.

7. Construction materials: maybe lumber OK for posts, but something else [PVC?] for the top part -- want it to be sturdy, but don't want the wood over the water. Maybe vinyl fencing posts, etc.?

I've GOOGLED pergolas, so have the basic structural idea, but trying to "SEE IT" over my pond. HELP!

Your ideas, thoughts, and criticisms are welcome!

Reaction score
Google it, you might find some pictures. I seen them like that and they are beautiful. Keeps the water cooler and leaves out and blocks sunrays that create algae.

Of course, all that stuff cost a pretty penny.

I wish I had done it that way. But unfortunately, I built them separately. If I knew then, what I know now.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Koigal50 said:
Google it, you might find some pictures. I seen them like that and they are beautiful. Keeps the water cooler and leaves out and blocks sunrays that create algae.

Of course, all that stuff cost a pretty penny.

I wish I had done it that way. But unfortunately, I built them separately. If I knew then, what I know now.
Koigal, one of my goals is to NOT block out the sun. We have enough trees trying to compete for that honor :)
And this won't be a big money project......I hope :(
Yes, already GOOGLED, but you know how every project has to fit your specific needs. Lots of nice ideas, though, not EXACTLY what I need.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sunshine said:
This is what we built years ago. The pond has changed, but the pergola is still there. The lattice is vinyl/plastic. The frame is treated wood, primered and painted.

Sunshine, is it partially supported by the house structure? Not a bad idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Mmathis said:
Sunshine, is it partially supported by the house structure? Not a bad idea.
We added the corrugated roof between the house and the garage than when we added the pergola later, we used those metal brackets to put the 2x6's in.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I made my own shade sail metal electrical conduit and shade fabric and one sewing machine later and hooks and eyes for the pipe and metal bit .I did find a sight on line that sells kits for pergolas but not that cheap .Do you just want it for protection from predators or for shade .

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
What she wants is a frame to hold bird and leaf netting. Not sure a sail would do.

You could build a lightweight pergola because it will never have to carry any weight. Use 2x4's where other pergolas use heavier lumber. Space the top bits further apart.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Leaves now matter what will blow off of it and go under the pergola or make a mushy growing mess on top of the netting after it rains .Been there done that with my house in NJ .Lots of trees and big leaves and I ended up taking the netting down it was so disgusting and was a breeding ground for bugs .I used bird netting and then tried that plastic fencing and nothing worked.Just a mess and then it was gross to take the netting down .Leaves never listen and go some where else .Plus I remember bird netting gave birds places to nest also .They just built nests on top of it and go figure lots of trees around to nest and hide in .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, for leaf and predator protection, NOT for shade. Pond needs all the sunshine it can get.

Sissy, more details regarding your leaf woes would be appreciated. How did you have this set up?

I do know that the netting we put over the pond this winter ended up having a congregation of leaves in some spots, and was a mess keeping them from ending up in the pond, or from making the netting dip into the water. Was especially true due to wind direction.....

So, was hoping that we could come up with a way to "weight" the ends of the netting as a way to hold them down (primarily for winter-time usage) instead of what we did this winter, which was place rocks on the loose edges. My [maybe] lame idea was to make or sew a pocket along the bottom edge that I could slide a length of PVC pipe inside. Haven't worked out those details yet, but was thinking along the lines of how you anchor the bottom edge of a window curtain rod....

Whatever, I want to have 24/7 access to the pond, so it's not like I'm closing it off. Found a few interesting pics, so will see if they'll post here. Also, bought some software recently that Hubby needs to install for me. It's a simple landscaping thing, and is one that lets you design ponds (wanted it so I could "design" my bog) and you can add pics of your yard. Want to get that going so I can get a VISUAL minds-eye of what the pond could look like with a pergola. Who knows, it might look like crap.....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It was on my back deck and no matter what I did I could not stop the mess ,ended up taking the netting down and just put up 2x2 going the other direction .Lattice I tried broke after just one year .I had trees with really large leaves tried to find pics of it but guessing i never took any of the deck just the shed roof.I had an acre of land and trees bordered the property

Attachments

• nj house pond parts 023.JPG
    nj house pond parts 023.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 794

Ask a Question