sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I actually started using it in my bird baths at least 20+ years ago .It worked great to keep them clean and fresh looking .I never heard of barley until 11 years ago .Farms here throw bales of it in there farm ponds .Some of them also use those bioverse balls that contain I don't know what but they have stuff inside them that cleans the water

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thinking back it could have been what my dad used in our pond .I remember something like a bale that he threw in every spring .I just remember the water being clear

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
2) All hydrogen peroxide is, is H2O2 (water with an extra oxygen atom in the molecule) That extra oxygen atom doesn't like being attached to the water molecule and is released fairly easily. The "extra" oxygen in the water is what knocks down the algae, and when that extra atom is released, you end up with H2O + O (water plus oxygen). The algae doesn't like that extra oxygen in the water and simply turns brown and dies off.

Almost... though, not correct.

More of a case that the reactive freed oxygen radicals does not like the algae.

When H2O2 dissociates, it creates H2O + - O. Negative O is reactive oxygen and is the reason why H2O2 is refered to as an oxidizer. Oxidizers not only adds oxygen to the water, but also "dings" any organic matter that contacts it.

TY crsublette :) I just learned something.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
H2O2 also can significantly "ding" fish's gills if it is not dosed slowly and spread out around the parameter of the pond.

Unfortunately, gill damage is permanent and not easy to detect unless you actually know what to look for. Gill damage is really noticeable once the fish grows to become a larger fish, unless the damage was quite severe.

The only time this would happen is if way too much H2O2 was used or if the fish swam directly through the stuff during dosing.

I buy mine in 4 x 500 ml bottles (2 litres) I pour mine into my waterfall feeder ( small bowl shaped pond with nothing in it but a few stones ). This way it disperses as it goes over the waterfall and I wait a few minutes between each bottle.

Reaction score
9000 gallon pond string algae 14.2 lbs of pure clay cat litter- NO SCENT! The algae was gone in less that 2 weeks. Dollar General $1.07 a bag.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Lets not forget that Doc Novak's Anoxic filter is essentially comprised entirely of kitty litter and even Novak admits to still having a yearly, although short lived, occurrences of string algae in the settlement chamber that contains the kitty litter. Although, he does admit he does not have string algae occurrences in the pond. Somehow, Mr. Chris Neaves occasionally pops up in the context of the anoxic filter..

I have also read from folk saying it does not work. I guess maybe they were not using enough of it?

I've used it also and it does work on string algae. Here is an article about using it: http://www.nfkc.info/Cat Litter.htm

I buy the Special Kitty brand at Walmart. It's cheap too.

Good article. Yeah, these montmorillonite/bentonite clay products are a good deal, as mentioned in post#14. It is only one of two products that I use as part of my "preventative care" approach to the pond.

For whatever reason, I still get string algae in my stream and in one specific odd spot in the pond so I still use a low dose weekly regiment of H2O2 to keep the stream cleaner a bit longer from string algae. I never had to do any scrubbing, pulling, etc, to deal with the string algae since it quickly dies so to then get captured.

9000 gallon pond string algae 14.2 lbs of pure clay cat litter- NO SCENT! The algae was gone in less that 2 weeks. Dollar General $1.07 a bag.

I think there is merit to the clay in addressing string algae, but I wouldn't call it the "cure" for string algae. Otherwise, all of the pond hobby forums everywhere, without hesitation, would be 100% swearing by the stuff so to remove string algae since string algae is a major source of pain to many hobbyists due to how the algae messes with pond water chemistry, so easily kills aquatic plants, and is such of a noticeable aesthetic pain for many folk.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm wondering also if using the kitty litter as a media for plant pots in the pond might also help w/ the string algae. I do think you need quite a bit of it for it to help and having it near moving water may help also, like under the falls. I have the kitty litter in just two big potted plants at this time. Haven't added in any extra in a mesh bag near the falls like I have in the past. Don't need to as no string now.

I also have a big garbage can full of barley straw but I fail to ever get around to putting any back into the pond. But then why should I bother if I haven't had the string algae problem for several years? I get a little, at least I think it's string but not enough to bother with now. Maybe my fish pigs are keeping it at bay. Not much sun here either and lots of plants in my pond that eat up the nutritious nitrogen from the fish.

Reaction score
2) Is it plant safe?
Extremely.

versus

Hydrogen peroxide is what is called a "non-selective" broad herbicide and microbicide. It will attack absolutely anything that is organic.
Those two statements seem to contradict each other don't you think?
I would think any "non-selective" broad herbicide would not be considered "Extremely" plant safe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do not dose with hydrogen peroxide if your pond is squeaky clean or it can kill your fish. I've dosed with 27% hydrogen peroxide to clear up docs and string algae and it does a great job.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Those two statements seem to contradict each other don't you think?
I would think any "non-selective" broad herbicide would not be considered "Extremely" plant safe.

Good catch, which is why you should keep what I wrote in context by not excluding the 3rd sentence from that paragraph, stating, "This is not the same to say it will damage or kill anything since everything has different tolerances."

Plants have a high tolerance to low concentration hydrogen peroxide. You can even use a short dip (done in a separate container) of a somewhat diluted high concentration of hydrogen peroxide to sanitize the plant roots for snails (etc), much like is done with PP, and the plant will still be fine.

The only way it would hurt the plant is if the plant's survival is relying on symbiotic relationships, such as particular algaes have a symbiotic relationship with Azolla which Azolla needs in order to thrive. If the plants get dinged by a proper low dose of low concentration (3%) hydrogen peroxide and this dose is not allowed to stay active for no more than 12~24 hours, then quite likely there are some symbiotic actors involved aiding in the plants survival.

I should've added this last bit.

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Do not dose with hydrogen peroxide if your pond is squeaky clean or it can kill your fish. I've dosed with 27% hydrogen peroxide to clear up docs and string algae and it does a great job.

Honestly, I've never met a "squeaky clean" pond. Usually, if there is string algae growing, then there is also all sorts of DOCs in the water.

As mentioned in the 2nd paragraph in post#13, the product can still be dosed in "clean" ponds. In "cleaner" ponds that have string algae, they will simply use a lower dose.

This is why I think it is important to use sodium thiosulfate to neutralize the reaction, after 12 hours or possibly sooner, if there is any concern.

Folks, 3% hydrogen peroxide is incredibly weak stuff. If 3% hydrogen peroxide is actually doing any noticeable harm, then there was too much used for the volume of water, which means the person missed the mark big time in their pond's gallon-age. This is why knowing your pond's gallon-age is quite important.

I only use the 27% stuff (which I get from a veterinarian store) as a spot spray solution rather than a whole pond treatment.

Ask a Question