Peroxide

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Lets not forget that Doc Novak's Anoxic filter is essentially comprised entirely of kitty litter and even Novak admits to still having a yearly, although short lived, occurrences of string algae in the settlement chamber that contains the kitty litter. Although, he does admit he does not have string algae occurrences in the pond. Somehow, Mr. Chris Neaves occasionally pops up in the context of the anoxic filter..

I have also read from folk saying it does not work. I guess maybe they were not using enough of it?

Good article. Yeah, these montmorillonite/bentonite clay products are a good deal, as mentioned in post#14. It is only one of two products that I use as part of my "preventative care" approach to the pond.

For whatever reason, I still get string algae in my stream and in one specific odd spot in the pond so I still use a low dose weekly regiment of H2O2 to keep the stream cleaner a bit longer from string algae. I never had to do any scrubbing, pulling, etc, to deal with the string algae since it quickly dies so to then get captured.

I think there is merit to the clay in addressing string algae, but I wouldn't call it the "cure" for string algae. Otherwise, all of the pond hobby forums everywhere, without hesitation, would be 100% swearing by the stuff so to remove string algae since string algae is a major source of pain to many hobbyists due to how the algae messes with pond water chemistry, so easily kills aquatic plants, and is such of a noticeable aesthetic pain for many folk.

Charles I can assure you that Dr Kevin Novaks Anoxic filtration does work having read the many posts on KKU from people who have them, one of our Plymouth Members on this forum Jas runs one himself.
I dont know why you deride the mans idea's so much Charles , he was given a hard time on this site when he came over here after the mysterious loss of his data on KKU .
A little in the way of its history for you , He though up the idea for his system after a conversation with Chris Neaves , Spike Cover and Duncan Griffith all who are at the top of their field koi wise.
Dr Novak tweaked it about somewhat and created the anoxic system as it is now , as such whether or not he gets string algae in the spring is nothing to do with anything, seeing as he is trying to mimic the workings of a natural pond as do many of our members with bog filters .
Now for Syd Mitchell aka Manky Sanke to run with the idea being the one UK's water experts says alott for the ideaI "I note its still on his website to this very day", so as such there is nothing wrong with the idea other wise Syd would have taken it down
I wll continue to defend him until you have either proven otherwise or built your own anoxic filtration system to at least trial it which my friend you shied away from the last time I asked you to trial it .....

Dave

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Charles I can assure you that Dr Kevin Novaks Anoxic filtration does work having read the many posts on KKU from people who have them, one of our Plymouth Members on this forum Jas runs one himself.
I dont know why you deride the mans idea's so much Charles , he was given a hard time on this site when he came over here after the mysterious loss of his data on KKU .
A little in the way of its history for you , He though up the idea for his system after a conversation with Chris Neaves , Spike Cover and Duncan Griffith all who are at the top of their field koi wise.
Dr Novak tweaked it about somewhat and created the anoxic system as it is now , as such whether or not he gets string algae in the spring is nothing to do with anything, seeing as he is trying to mimic the workings of a natural pond as do many of our members with bog filters .
Now for Syd Mitchell aka Manky Sanke to run with the idea being the one UK's water experts says alott for the ideaI "I note its still on his website to this very day", so as such there is nothing wrong with the idea other wise Syd would have taken it down
I wll continue to defend him until you have either proven otherwise or built your own anoxic filtration system to at least trial it which my friend you shied away from the last time I asked you to trial it .....

Dave

Dave, there was nothing in that quote of mine that "derides the man's idea". The fact that he admits to, within the anoxic chamber, temporary string algae occurrences every Spring means quite a bit whenever his system is constantly stated as the solution for string algae. You should actually research Mr. Neaves' comments to see what he actually thinks of the anoxic system since he is "at the top of their field koi wise" rather than trying to suggest Mr. Neaves has only praise for Novak's system; let me help you here, simply click the google results here to find his commentary. Now, remember, this commentary is coming from a fella that is "at the top of their field koi wise."

FACT that the anoxic system is comprised of 90%+ of kitty litter, less the owner cares to pay for the expense of Laterite and more if the owner cares to be cheap about the use of Laterite. FACT that novak and their users still admits to at least one occurrence of a string algae bloom. FACT, for the record, Novak had a pleasant reception here and I was his best bud until everything went sour.

If the standard of "derision" is you do not like the facts or even the mere mention of his name by me, then quite unfortunate when this type of imaginary "derision" requires you to come to his defense. Next time, I'll save you the trouble by simply PM'ing you the next time I merely mention the anoxic filter or Novak's name.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have also read from folk saying it does not work. I guess maybe they were not using enough of it?

No mention of anoxic nor Novak's name in this sentence, which is essentially a small paragraph of its own. The context of this paragraph is in the context of the current conversation, that is "kitty litter being the solution for string algae" and the context was not novak's anoxic system. Good reason why this statement was in its own paragraph instead of lumped into the previous paragraph.

Dave, seriously, only you and folk with their sensitivity meter cranked up way too high would think that this paragraph was written in the context of novak's anoxic system... Seriously, think it through... If Novak was the context of this paragraph, then for once just think before reacting... What would I be referring to when the question was asked "I guess maybe they were not using enough of it?"

This type of narcissistic sensitivity is exactly the reason why Novak has retreated from all forums. Quite a shame.

Believe it or not... Whenever the subject of "kitty litter" comes into play, it is not all about Novak. Sheesh. For everyone's sake... Move on!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I know what he said Charles I instigated the anoxic thread as I said it came about after they were discussing clay Dr Novak took the idea and turned it into the anoxic filter

http://www.koi4u.co.za/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=23&id=9176&Itemid=278

Its a subject that will run and run we have the ones that say it works whilst others like yourself are doubters I have a soft spot for Kevin he comes into alott of flack because of his belief in his system hell they said man would never fly it doesnt mean they didnt so why bring his system up , if you recall I did ask you to trial it and report back on your findings you refused that rquest not I
I gave him the benefit of the doubt on KKU he had over 48,000 hits so the interest is there so you just cant write it off like that Chris comes into the coversation from time to time because he has commented on it .

Dave

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Again, for the hundredth time, just like you raped the context of my previous statements on this subject matter as I have clearly shown here... I HAVE NEVER SAID IT DOES NOT WORK FROM THE VERY BEGINING!!!

This notion you and Novak's groupies have of me saying "it does not work" has always been fantasy due to not liking my criticism just like you tried to suggest it was what I wrote here by taking what I wrote out of context. Sorry, it never happened. Move on!! ...

Seriously... Go ahead, I'll let you have the last word on this particular side discussion just so we can frick'n move on.

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I may add some crushed oyster shells to my kitty litter next spring, if it helps the roots.

Yep, this would be very good more so for the fish rather than for the plant.

Generally, plants like the root zone to be very acidic. Plants utilize a cation exchange and release enzymes in attempt to create an acidic zone around the roots so to make nutrients such as calcium, iron, phosphate, and magnesium more available. Generally, relative to the plant, plants love a pH of around 5.8~7.0 and others in the 4.0~5.0 range in their root zone due to a higher level of nutrient availability; however, generally, most aquatic plants can do quite fine with their root zone being more alkaline.

Quick side not... The cation exchange capacity (CEC) is very common nomenclature that is in context of plants and soil and fertilizer. Commonly seen is "soil's CEC" in nutrient test, which this generally indicates the amount of clay within the soil.

As an example to better relate... Ammonium is a cation (NH4+, often referred to as ionized ammonia). Nitrate is an anion (NO3-). The plant will involuntarily eject whatever is most readily available within or outside of the plant. If the root zone's water is primarily high in Nitrate, then the plant will eject a hydroxide anion (OH-) from its cell structure so to pull in the Nitrate nitrogen; this causes the water in the general area to become more alkaline (higher pH). If the water in the general area is high in Ammonium, then the plant will eject a hydrogen cation (H+) so to absorb the NH4+ thus causing the water to become more acidic (lower pH). This ion exchange is a natural process of ionic diffusion. This process continually occurs even when the plant is dead until there is nothing left to decompose.

Plants try to control the environment through its specific ion pumps or other substance releasing pumps.

One common reasons of plants having potassium deficiencies is whenever the calcium is too high since there are too many Calcium positive ions competing with the Potassium positive ions for the plant to uptake.

If plants are having problems blooming, then one common reason is due to a pH above 4.5~6.0 causing phosphate precipitating with calcium creating dicalcium phosphate. In our context, precipitation means the compound is not plant soluble.

These are also reasons why fertilizers are specially mixed with particular ratios. Nutrient lockout can be avoided if the ions are in a good balance in a correct pH.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Again, for the hundredth time, just like you raped the context of my previous statements on this subject matter as I have clearly shown here... I HAVE NEVER SAID IT DOES NOT WORK!!! Move on!! ...

Seriously... Go ahead, I'll let you have the last word on this particular side discussion just so we can frick'n move on.
At last thank you Charles :happy:

Dave

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
so why bring his system up , if you recall I did ask you to trial it and report back on your findings you refused that rquest not I

Nor have you trialed it your self due to your own reasons and I am not giving you flack over this as you are with me. My own reasons is I already have a system and not going to spend the extra $100~$300 or so on Laterite and kitty litter just to satisfy your and the groupie's pleasuring of each other.

This idea you have that I have ever said "it does not work" is your pure imagination just like how you took what I wrote here out of context. Apparently, this is must be how the Novak fans love to treat critics, even when it is coming from Mr. Neaves!! Now, folk realizing

His system was brought up here due to the predominant use of kitty litter and the last few posts been discussing kitty litter.

Ok. Adding this one to the anoxic rule book...

Rule#312 : Do not reference Novak's anoxic filter when in a different conversation only talking about kitty litter.

Jeeze... Come on man... Sorry, broke the "last word" rule.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I stick up for him for the bad reception he was given on this very site Charles when he came across to it which I though was not a very nice thing to do thats all...........
Rule# 345 do not attack a person because of an idea especially if he has a doctorate

Nuff said .......

Dave

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I stick up for him for the bad reception he was given on this very site Charles when he came across to it which I though was not a very nice thing to do thats all...........
Rule# 345 do not attack a person because of an idea especially if he has a doctorate

Nuff said .......

Dave

Yeah, and he was brought to this forum because of my friendly invitation and had a friendly conversation with him until he just flipped out...

Now, you are taking this text out of context (yet again) to suggest I was personally attacking Novak... Here is the thread for folk to judge for them self... An alternative, better, approach to a bog. Anoxic Filtration.

Enough of this... Sheesh, Dave, you know how to ruin or give a good thread attention.

As Charlie Brown would say, "Good grief."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks for the comments on my moderation skills and the good site it once was however Charles the reason he flipped his lid appears to have been caused by you my friend :-

Ok...... Well, now that the Pissing contest is over I still dont know if i have got everything I need to continue with this!
You know there are other people on this forum who want to learn. And not everyone NEEDS to know ALL details and all "DATA" on EVERYTHING! Read this Carefully-----I DON'T CARE IF YOU THINK THIS IS A GLORIFIED BOG! I WAS BUILDING A BOG ANYWAY! IF IT DOES'NT WORK, THE MOST I'LL BE OUT IS KITTY LITTER...I DO NOT CARE HOW THIS THING WORKS AS LONG AS IT WORKS! Do Not get me wrong, you have every right to question; this is a public forum. But DR NOVAK ( and we call him that because, anyone who goes thru the amount of education and has the credentials he does, deserves to be called by his title! ) has every right to answer your questions Without giving up all of the intimate details of his research that you two were Demanding. I have just as much right to believe in DR NOVAK as you both do to have your doubts... Am I wrong??!? But you two have ruined that, with your accusatory comments and pretentious Egos, and Now...He's gone. As water bug so eloquently put it in a previous post on this thread, "That is that", .... isn't it ?

:-

KKU also provides a nice forum section that is entirely dedicated to the anoxic system, which is a bit wierd and fine. I'm registered there as well. They have some good info there. Good people there with plenty of experience with the setup more than willing to answer any of your questions. It is my understanding the KKU forum section is strictly moderated so to keep "ego", as you call it, out of it.
Perhaps you yourself as fishy love puts should take an ego pill maybe I should be moderator here I did such a good job of keeping them in check as you say
I'll go one further the reason we gave over a complete section for the anoxic system was an I quote to give Dr not Mr Novak an unbiased platform for his filtration system now in my book thats not being a bit weird its called being a nice person and having a respect for his qualifications is that a hrd thing for you to understand ?

Dave

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Many thanks for the comments on my moderation skills and the good site it once was however Charles the reason he flipped his lid appears to have been caused by you my friend :-

Ok...... Well, now that the Pissing contest is over I still dont know if i have got everything I need to continue with this!
You know there are other people on this forum who want to learn. And not everyone NEEDS to know ALL details and all "DATA" on EVERYTHING! Read this Carefully-----I DON'T CARE IF YOU THINK THIS IS A GLORIFIED BOG! I WAS BUILDING A BOG ANYWAY! IF IT DOES'NT WORK, THE MOST I'LL BE OUT IS KITTY LITTER...I DO NOT CARE HOW THIS THING WORKS AS LONG AS IT WORKS! Do Not get me wrong, you have every right to question; this is a public forum. But DR NOVAK ( and we call him that because, anyone who goes thru the amount of education and has the credentials he does, deserves to be called by his title! ) has every right to answer your questions Without giving up all of the intimate details of his research that you two were Demanding. I have just as much right to believe in DR NOVAK as you both do to have your doubts... Am I wrong??!? But you two have ruined that, with your accusatory comments and pretentious Egos, and Now...He's gone. As water bug so eloquently put it in a previous post on this thread, "That is that", .... isn't it ?

:-

KKU also provides a nice forum section that is entirely dedicated to the anoxic system, which is a bit wierd and fine. I'm registered there as well. They have some good info there. Good people there with plenty of experience with the setup more than willing to answer any of your questions. It is my understanding the KKU forum section is strictly moderated so to keep "ego", as you call it, out of it.
Perhaps you yourself as fishy love puts should take an ego pill maybe I should be moderator here I did such a good job of keeping them in check as you say
I'll go one further the reason we gave over a complete section for the anoxic system was an I quote to give Dr not Mr Novak an unbiased platform for his filtration system now in my book thats not being a bit weird its called being a nice person and having a respect for his qualifications is that a hrd thing for you to understand ?

Dave

All the information is there for folk to set up the anoxic system. Nothing is lost by the lack of the good Doctor's presence.

For anyone wanting to know, post#143 covers the construction rules quite well. If any questions, then the Anoxic Blog covers it quite well.

I am glad he started his own blog so he can feel more free to release much more information without constraint nor concern of data loss.

Why don't you just let folk read and be the judge them self without your commentary? You obviously have shown to not be an objective proponent nor objective critic due to constantly taking folk out of context.

If folk want an objective critic, other than me, then read the forum comments by Mr. Neaves critiquing the anoxic system.

Dave, since you want to turn this thread into who is right and who is wrong... This is fine be me since I find the tango entertaining and the attention it creates is fun... at least stop taking what folk write out of context.

Good grief, and just think that this entire side conversation got started here in a peroxide thread involving string algae and kitty litter simply due to my passing reference of the words "kitty litter" and "novak" in the same sentence.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Your Egotistical bent belittles you Charles "everytime", .... perhaps by coming down to the level of we mere mortals we may gain an understanding of your need appear better than other more humble folks.
It's all water off a ducks back to me my friend. I am what I am nothing more nothing less

Dave

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Your Egotistical bent belittles you Charles "everytime", .... perhaps by coming down to the level of we mere mortals we may gain an understanding of your need appear better than other more humble folks.
It's all water off a ducks back to me my friend. I am what I am nothing more nothing less

Dave

Good. Good. Now, watch how I will not react like Doc Novak, I will take this with a good sense of humor and move on as water does under a bridge. :)

Ask a Question