Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
OK.
The last time your changed out any appreciable amount of water, do you know what the pH was at that time and how long did it take after the change out for the pH to rise to 8.0+?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I never tested it when I filled it up. It didn't occur to me at the time to test it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gotcha. I never checked it until I lost a couple goldfish a few weeks ago. That's when I noticed the difference between the pond and what comes out of the hose.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Do you know what the pH was after the pool company originally filled the pond? In other words, what was the pH of the water that was delivered?

Reaction score
Country
United States
No. Wish I did. They put around 7k gallons in. I've since changed out about 4.5-5k gallons from my well.
(Someone dumped a bunch of blue die in the pond. I HATE that stuff, so over several days, I drained and refilled.)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The 'comfort' pH range for most aquatic organisms including Goldfish and Koi is 6.5 - 8.5. As long as your pond pH is within that range and fairly stable, I would not be concerned. Of course, the cause of the pH differential is still a mystery. I would faithfully check the pH anytime that you do add water from the well. Any abrupt and sizeable drop of pH could be acutely stressful to your fish. This should not happen unless you change out a sizeable (40%-50%) portion of the pond water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is strange. I don't see myself doing any substantial water changes. I don't want to pull that much from the well again at one time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
No. Wish I did. They put around 7k gallons in. I've since changed out about 4.5-5k gallons from my well.
(Someone dumped a bunch of blue die in the pond. I HATE that stuff, so over several days, I drained and refilled.)

I'm wondering if the removal of the pond dye has resulted in a rise of DO, which in turn would raise the PH.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm wondering if the removal of the pond dye has resulted in a rise of DO, which in turn would raise the PH.

This is why I inquired about the level of algae (periphyton) growth and the DO levels. The OP indicated that the algae growth was minimal which leads me to think that the DO level is also lower than one would expect. The CO2 is, of course, low at 8.0+ pH. This inhibits the periphyton photosynthesis.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I was thinking that there might be an increase of planktonic algae from the reduction of the pond dye.
There is plenty we don't know though - timelines and other water parameters.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was thinking that there might be an increase of planktonic algae from the reduction of the pond dye.
There is plenty we don't know though - timelines and other water parameters.

There was a good/thick green algae bloom a few weeks ago, which is why I think my pond guy added the dye. We've since added a Delta EP10 UV unit which has greatly cleared the water.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
There was a good/thick green algae bloom a few weeks ago, which is why I think my pond guy added the dye. We've since added a Delta EP10 UV unit which has greatly cleared the water.

Can you test your pH early in the morning and then again at dusk on the same day and post the results? This may give a better indication of what is going on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Just to add my 2 cents, have you checked your kH which is much more important than the pH assuming the pH is in a
proper level which it is. My pH stays at 8.4, not worry about 8.0 as it's fine. Unless I missed it, I didn't see a previous pH.

Ask a Question