PH question

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a 1,000 gallon pond which is over 10 years old. I test the water usually once in the spring, summer and fall. I use the API test strips. The water has always been within the ‘safe’ parameters.

After joining this forum, I began to test the water more often. Even though the water parameters remained in the safe range, my PH seems to jump around quite a lot.

water parameters.jpg

I began to get worried and did a lot of reading about PH. I found out that my KH could be higher to stabilize the PH. This could be done by adding baking soda. Then I read that baking soda raises KH but also raises PH – to 8.3, but it can go higher. Then you need to increase GH. And of course I read contradicting things. I decided to not do anything about it because the fish have been fine and I didn’t know what to believe. I was afraid to start messing with the other parameters which are stable. The fish range from 6 to 10 years old, so they must have adjusted to the crazy PH.

Does anyone have thoughts on PH? Do you try to keep it more stable? What do you do?

Reaction score
My thought would be to throw the tester away and not to worry about it. I bought a tester (against the advice of the pond store) tried to adjust things then just ignored things. In both cases nothing bad happened.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my ph changes during rain and when I add water from my well .But it helps to keep bags of crushed oyster shells in the pond .I buy the bags at tractor supply .Only time I tested was after I rebuilt the pond .I always used the liquid test kits .As long as the fish seem OK then I think raising and lowering ph to much will shock the fish .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is an extremely old saying that pond owners would do well following.
Ph will fluctuate naturally, as much as .5 in a day under normal conditions. Think of it like your Blood Pressure or Heart Rate. Ideally, 120/80 is considered a desired BP, but depending on physical activity, it will vary, sometimes greatly. It is supposed to. That is how your body operates. Same with the pH in a pond. The pH will naturally change based mainly on the activity (feeding levels) of micro-organisms. So organic load and, to a point, temperature (seasonally) will influence the pH level. These natural changes are usually gradual (days, weeks) and cause no problem. It is only when there is an abrupt and sizable change in any of the pond's water quality parameters do stress levels in fish and other organisms rise.
Your pond is fine. Do nothing.
BTW: Your current GH and KH levels are also fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Cas, that's great that you keep a log.
I would suggest that you add a few notes to your log entries.
Make a note of the quantity of algae and submerged plants in your pond at the time of the test - maybe on a scale of 1 - 100.
Also make a note if there was any recent rainfall or if you topped up the water.
If you cleaned any filters, make a note of that too.
You might find some interesting correlations.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1,000 gallon pond which is over 10 years old. I test the water usually once in the spring, summer and fall. I use the API test strips. The water has always been within the ‘safe’ parameters.

After joining this forum, I began to test the water more often. Even though the water parameters remained in the safe range, my PH seems to jump around quite a lot.

View attachment 87052

I began to get worried and did a lot of reading about PH. I found out that my KH could be higher to stabilize the PH. This could be done by adding baking soda. Then I read that baking soda raises KH but also raises PH – to 8.3, but it can go higher. Then you need to increase GH. And of course I read contradicting things. I decided to not do anything about it because the fish have been fine and I didn’t know what to believe. I was afraid to start messing with the other parameters which are stable. The fish range from 6 to 10 years old, so they must have adjusted to the crazy PH.

Does anyone have thoughts on PH? Do you try to keep it more stable? What do you do?
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is an extremely old saying that pond owners would do well following.
Ph will fluctuate naturally, as much as .5 in a day under normal conditions. Think of it like your Blood Pressure or Heart Rate. Ideally, 120/80 is considered a desired BP, but depending on physical activity, it will vary, sometimes greatly. It is supposed to. That is how your body operates. Same with the pH in a pond. The pH will naturally change based mainly on the activity (feeding levels) of micro-organisms. So organic load and, to a point, temperature (seasonally) will influence the pH level. These natural changes are usually gradual (days, weeks) and cause no problem. It is only when there is an abrupt and sizable change in any of the pond's water quality parameters do stress levels in fish and other organisms rise.
Your pond is fine. Do nothing.
BTW: Your current GH and KH levels are also fine.
Cas as @Meyer Jordan has quite rightly pointed out Ph fluctuates this is why if your going to test your water you will find a different Ph level at a differing time of day .
Its not a major swing but its a swing of .5 or .6 between am and pm.
When you say API test strips surely you mean API Pond Master drop test kits ?

Dave

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thank you everyone for your replies.
@MitchM , I do keep track of the amount of rainfall, the amount of tap water added and temperature along with the above, but didn't think to also note plant and algae growth or the filters cleaned - good idea.
@Meyer Jordan , thank you also for your comment on the KH and GH readings. So many posts on the internet saying they should be adjusted. It was also due to one of your posts in another thread that I started noting the time of day when the water was tested.
@Dave 54 , I am using the test strips, not the drops. I am considering getting the API Master drop test kit for next spring.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Which way Meyer? Up in summer, down in winter?

Just the opposite, Peter. Biological activity is higher at all levels during the warmer months. More Carbon Dioxide is produced, which takes the form of Carbonic acid in water. Acids reduce pH values. This is more noticeable in higher latitudes. Southern venues do not often experience low (<32F) temperatures, so biological activity is not retarded to a great extent.

Ask a Question