Photos of expansion project

Reaction score
Skimmer / Bottom Drain system is plumbed and running. The Sequence pump is extraordinarily quiet. The flow at the intake to the AquaUV 57 is between 45-50 gpm which is well under its 58 gpm maximum. Note: there will be a deck covering all the plumbing over to the Palamadum. In front of the filter I'll build a false fence.

Professional landscape architect who builds ponds and waterfalls is coming over today to give advice and a bid. More later.

Attachments

• Pond expansion 2010 043.jpg
    Pond expansion 2010 043.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 258
  • Pond expansion 2010 044.jpg
    Pond expansion 2010 044.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 248
  • Pond expansion 2010 052.jpg
    Pond expansion 2010 052.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 236
  • Pond expansion 2010 047.jpg
    Pond expansion 2010 047.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 241
  • Pond expansion 2010 051.jpg
    Pond expansion 2010 051.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 275
Reaction score
Starting to miter the capstones. Time consuming, but they sure look nicer.

I'm bringing the water hardness and alkalinity up to par. When the water temps hit 50 I'll move the fish. Right now the water temp is 41.

Attachments

• Pond expansion 2010 061.jpg
    Pond expansion 2010 061.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 285
  • Pond expansion 2010 060.jpg
    Pond expansion 2010 060.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 312

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Some Bamboo and Papyrus around the perimeter and it will hide some of the artificial appearance. maybe some vines to cling to the rocks. I use wirey vine on my waterfall and it hid everything.

Reaction score
Thanks everybody. I really appreciate all of your help and compliments. Deb & are taking a vacation next week so I'll be back with you after that.

Reaction score
Hi all,

We found a professional landscaper / pond builder with whom we are most impressed. Initially we called him just for consult on building the waterfall. He came down and spent a couple hours with me reviewing what I'd already done and then making recommendations. At the end of his consultation I asked him if he would provide us a bid to do the work for us. He said sure and that he could bid it pretty aggressively because their company is not very busy right now. In any case, the bid came in under what Deb and I had decided was the limit so.

We are going to have the waterfall professionally done. He's going to bring in big, mossy boulders and create a meandering stream from the waterfall to the pond. And, get this. He's going to do it in 3-4 days including dressing up the front wall with natural boulders and plantings. 3-4 days!!! Wow. I am so looking forward to having this project done--I've been working on it since august.

I'll take pictures while he is working on it.

rw

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Some Bamboo and Papyrus around the perimeter and it will hide some of the artificial appearance. maybe some vines to cling to the rocks. I use wirey vine on my waterfall and it hid everything.

One word about bamboo--it's highly invasive and can spread and take over a yard in no time flat much like rush does. IF you choose to plant bamboo, either keep it in pots or you must use a metal sheeting barrier around it that is no less than 24-36" deep to try to keep the root runners of bamboo in check. Otherwise, a jungle of bamboo that is unstoppable quickly takes over (I know, I had an acre full of it that we could not control).

There is nandina (at your local garden supply), which is basically known as a fake bamboo. It looks similar to it, but is not the same species of plant at all. In the winter, the leaves get a very deep burgundy red and it does sport red berries (so don't plant it too close to pond so the berries don't fall in).

Bamboo is beautiful, but you need to be ready to control it--and it's one of them never ending battles if you don't kee it in check.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Runners are bad news and koikeepr is right about how invassive they can be.

All my bamboo plants are clumpers. Very easy to control, and no chance of them spreading.

I planted mine 12 years ago and in So Cal everything grows year round. The diameter of the clump expands and all you need to do (if you want or need to) is every 3-4 years, split it into 4 plants. Then I transplant or sell the plants I don't need. I have bamboo highlighting my entire yard in select places.

As for excess, I can put bamboo (5 gallon plants) on Craigs list in the morning and by noon, they are all sold. Last year I had people calling to be added to a waiting list for them.

Reaction score
Pictures coming. Finished the rebuilt walkway along the fence yesterday. Main deck section still to be built. Placed the plants back into the pond too. Man was it ever cold. Yikes. Waiting a bit yet on the fish.

Landscaper comes a week from tomorrow. Should have the deck done by then so after he's done it's done. Yay.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
koikeepr said:
One word about bamboo--it's highly invasive and can spread and take over a yard in no time flat much like rush does. IF you choose to plant bamboo, either keep it in pots or you must use a metal sheeting barrier around it that is no less than 24-36" deep to try to keep the root runners of bamboo in check. Otherwise, a jungle of bamboo that is unstoppable quickly takes over (I know, I had an acre full of it that we could not control).

There is nandina (at your local garden supply), which is basically known as a fake bamboo. It looks similar to it, but is not the same species of plant at all. In the winter, the leaves get a very deep burgundy red and it does sport red berries (so don't plant it too close to pond so the berries don't fall in).

Bamboo is beautiful, but you need to be ready to control it--and it's one of them never ending battles if you don't kee it in check.

I have four varieties of bamboo that are supposed to be the clumping type, but I chose to keep all of them in large pots. Two of them are over due to be slpit into forths and transplanted. Despite the fact that they are in pots, the bamboo looks nice placed around and near my pond.

Happy ponding,

Rich :faint:

Ask a Question