Photos of expansion project

Reaction score
Nice job on the landscaping brick. It drives me nuts when people spend all that money on the brick and then don't do it right....

Reaction score
Thank you Jsado. Considering how inexperienced I am, I'm satisfied.

Attached are some pictures of the revised walkway along the fence and the deck in progress. I'm about 1/2 done with the deck.

Monday the landscape pond guy comes. After he's done, the fish return to their home.

Attachments

• Pond expansion 2010 099.jpg
    Pond expansion 2010 099.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 289
  • Pond expansion 2010 098.jpg
    Pond expansion 2010 098.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 269
  • Pond expansion 2010 095.jpg
    Pond expansion 2010 095.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 290
  • Pond expansion 2010 096.jpg
    Pond expansion 2010 096.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 257
  • Pond expansion 2010 097.jpg
    Pond expansion 2010 097.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 297

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
WOW ,i'll say it again..WOW... i wish i could afford to do what i want with mine... i really llo forward to seing the completed project.......thnx for sharing

Reaction score
Some of ya'll are probably going to disagree, but my wife and i have decided to have the landscape pond guy place large and small boulders, soil and plantings in front of the wall. We debated and debated and think it'll look better than it does now. We both really like the natural look, so that's what we doing. It's been hard to decide because as it is the wall looks nice. It just looks more like a swimming pool and kind of artificial.

I guess we'll see.

Reaction score
Thanks Koi Guy. I appreciate the compliment. You know, it's funny how projects evolve. They take on a life of their own to a degree and it's fun following along.

I didn't start out to make the walkway bicolored. the darker boards are from the previous walkway. i treated them with a stain last year. I didn't want to waste them, so I started out with them and when I ran out I went to Lowes and got some new untreated 2X6s. I cut and put them in and what I had was a section of darker boards and one of lighter boards. Looked funky. So I counted and saw that if I took it all apart and spaced the dark boards every third I'd get a nice pattern.

I build everything with screws so while it was a hassle taking it apart it was worth it I think. I also modified how I attached the boards to the steel rails. Before there were a lot of pipes and wires under the walkway so I built it to come apart. This time there won't be much in the way of wires and pipes, but I stayed with the idea of building it in sections that can come off if needed.

I hear you about affording the project. Honestly, if I knew when I started how much I'd be putting into it, I'm not at all sure I'd have ever dug a hole. When we decided we wanted to do a pond, we got two bids before deciding to do it ourselves. The bids were $12,500 and $8,500. I was shocked.

So, now, after two years and one major expansion it looks like we're going to top out between $10,500 and $11,000. And that's with hiring out the waterfall and wall landscaping. That work is costing $3600. I could do it, but not with the same size rocks and nowhere nearly as fast. And probably not as nicely either.

Frankly, I think we got a LOT more for our $11K than we would have from the initial contractors. And, i had the fun of designing and building it. But this is it. My wife OKed the final expenditure, in fact encouraged it because I think she's tired of the yard being a mess AND she knows I'm toast. I've been working pretty steadily on this expansion since the end of August. So, it'll be sweet to have someone come in and knock out the final work in 3-4 days.

I'll probably finish the deck this week. And the landscaper comes Monday. So by a week from Friday all should be completed except for minor tweaks. I can't wait.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
looking realy good D&RW i too look forward to seeing the end result i have followed your post from the start, also think most of us would think again about ponds if we realized just how much it was all going to cost ! :0)
one guestion what on earth are you going to do with yourself when its finished !!!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Ask the landscaper for some Golden Bamboo and Papyrus, you won't regret it.
That deck is going to be nice when finished. What varieties of wood did you use in the two tone?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I think you will like the rock and plants in front of the wall it will make the whole thing appear bigger
Its looking real good

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for all the compliments. I've been really committed to finishing the deck. Since the landscaper is doing the rest, after the deck is done I'm done. I've worked two days in clouds & rain. Kinda nuts really, but I'm done!!:beerchug: The basic framework for the deck is done. ah, that feels good. I've also stained all the deck boards with fish safe lacquer. They'll be ready in a few days and I'll complete the deck. We haven't decided on a railing yet. We've also not decided on steps. Probably just do ordinary steps.

I'll post some pic tomorrow of the completed deck foundation.

Reaction score
couple of specific responses.

1) Dr. Dave. what kind of wood on the two tone. it's just fir. the dark is old wood that had been stained. the light is coated with a cement lacquer that is fish safe.

2) Dr. Case: sure hope we like it. I can't see how we wouldn't, but it's an unknown. I traded days so I could be off when they're here. I hope to learn some tricks of the trade.

3) diving platform?:beerchug: while I was digging with a shovel, it felt like it was going to be that deep. one reason we're going ahead with the natural look waterfall and wall treatments is that it looks more like a swimming pool as it is.

4) what on earth am I going to do with myself when it's finished? That's a very good question. This project has been pretty consuming. I joked with people--I don't have a life, I have a pond. :lol:

Seriously though, I have thought about it. Like many of us here I am happiest when I have a project. So, my next two projects are going to be: 1) music--i've toyed with instruments all my adult life, but haven't been able to sit still long enough to get really good. got close with guitar. now I've decided I'm going formal, i.e. with lessons and study of music theory. i'm starting with piano. i'll buy a weighted key digital when i've saved enough ($900). 2) i'm going to start a small business doing home repairs and remodeling to include pond building, but not at all focused on that. i'm pretty handy with tools and folks at work keep asking me to do this and that for them. up till now i haven't charged them anything, but i'm going to go official and start a business. see how it goes.

Reaction score
Promised fotos. Monday comes the landscaper and the waterfall. I'll take lots of fotos.

Two of the fotos are of equipment. One is the 1.5 in eductor. Finally got it and hooked it up. Definitely increases flow. Would I buy another one?
Probably not. Too expensive for what you get, I think.

The other is of the second surface mount bottom drain hooked up to the submersible pump that'll power the waterfall.

Attachments

• Pond expansion 2010 106.jpg
    Pond expansion 2010 106.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 251
  • Pond expansion 2010 107.jpg
    Pond expansion 2010 107.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 274
  • Pond expansion 2010 110.jpg
    Pond expansion 2010 110.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 284
  • Pond expansion 2010 115.jpg
    Pond expansion 2010 115.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 271

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I am always making drawings of things i am going to build and i see it in my mind but when i see it after its done it looks even better ..
When you see the mass of what the landscape and fill is going to do around your pond it will be amazing

Ask a Question