Placement of pond - Beginner needing some advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

I've never had a pond before but after looking at trying to increase the amount of wildlife in my garden, I've read that a pond is a good start! :)

So my dilemma is about where to place my pond. I have a North-East facing back-garden in North Wales (near about Bangor - so think vaguely cold, lots of wind and rain). In the back garden, there are two very large oak trees opposite the house with a 8/9 foot space between them and also a 10 foot space beside one of the trees. (I've included a small diagram) My front garden is quite expose to the elements (so lots of wind and not much shelter) and also I live in a cul-de-sac so theres a road in front of the house. The front garden gets a lot more sun as its South-West facing.

I read somewhere that ponds need sun and don't do well with shade. My back-garden does get some sun (around 6 hours in the summer I think) but I'm just not sure where would be best.

Any advice would help!

Attachments

• pond.png
    pond.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 103

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1597270486382.gif
@viranik
Whichever spot you feel most comfortable sitting and viewing it would be best and yes some sun is great, 6 hours is pretty good. I would keep it out from under trees that shed leaves as it can be a pain to net out leaves all the time. Mine is facing south and gets plenty of sun but I have a tree that does not shed leaves in front of it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with @j.w - build your pond where you will best be able to view it, both from outside and from inside your house. Sun or shade - both have their pluses and minuses, so don't worry too much about that part.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Avoid putting the pond anywhere near oak trees if at all possible, the acorns are a nightmare and so are the leaves in the fall. The front sounds like a better location in your case. The lack of sun is only a problem in that you have less options for plants that will grow in the pond and plants are very important if you plan to have any fish. Luckily there are plants that do fine in the shade in ponds, hostas come to mind immediately but I am not familiar with the local plant options in Wales. Shade isn't really that big of a problem so long as it gets at least a few hours of sun or filtered sun sometime during the day so shade plants will grow, but the oaks would be a big no for me, personally. I hate acorns.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

Good advice up there for you

Ask a Question