Pond Placement

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm new here and have found the information available on this site invaluabe.

I think I have enough info to start digging.

This will be a garden pond with goldfish, no koi, lots of plants. My only unresolved issue is where to place the pond. I live in sunny hot FL. I have two potential sites. 1) near the enter/exit to my home but it is under a big Live Oak tree which sheds a lot of leaves. 2) About 30 ft from the other spot but not under the oak tree and in full sun.

I like the location nearer the door but am concerned about all the leaves. The other location is nice too but my fish may get cooked :)

Any suggestions on which would be better.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well with the tree you could net the pond, or scoop them out all of the time. If in full sun just make it deeper, Mine in arizona was 5.5 feet deep the water stayed around 85 degrees even in the summer and the sun.

You cold put a shade over the pond also.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Your plants will like being in the sun .
They will give your pond the shade it needs

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you choose to put it by the oak tree just install a skimmer, it will help catch the leaves that fall.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
half and half .You really want it where it will give you the most viewing joy .If you never go to the pond and don't want to stand and look at the fish .You will need to make the pond comfortable to view

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Archimedes, Welcome! You might want to consider how hard it will be to dig by the tree because of it's roots. Also if you damage a lot of roots it may hurt the tree. The sunny spot sounds better. You can always find a way to screen it. Be sure to have the sides of your pond slightly higher than the ground around it otherwise ground water with chemicals from your lawn or garden can get into your pond. Also it is a good idea to have your pond liner stretch out past the border of your pond so water doesn't get under the liner.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome48.gif
Archimedes
I'd also choose the sunny spot and go deeper so fish can find the cooler spots down below. Lots of ways to shade your pond w/ plants, screen or an arbor w/ an evergreen vine growing over it.

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback folks.

I think I'm leaning toward the sunny location. I think it would be easier to figure out a way to shade the pond than it would be to keep the leaves out if under the tree. When that oak tree sheds its leaves it buries my yard in leaves. Even with netting I think it would be hard to keep them all out.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think you are making the right decision as those Oak trees can hide a whole house when the leaves drop :eek:

Ask a Question