Replacement Pond Build

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hi,

It's been awhile since I've posted. You can see on the link below that I've built a 1,200 gal pond in 2011 and have enjoyed it up until our recent remodel required it to be moved 10 feet further out into the yard. That required it to be disassembled and filled in. Our goldfish are in the 130 gal stock tank that we used has a gravity filter in the previous build, awaiting the construction of our new pond.

The new pond's dimensions extend further than the original. I'm estimating that it will be 5,000 gallons. The contractor who did our remodel used his Bobcat to rough dig the pond and I'm in the process of doing the finish dig by hand. I'll have more details in the coming days and weeks - as indicated by the title of my original build, I do things at a relatively slow pace.

Look forward to describing what I'll be doing the same and what I will be doing differently in this new build.

John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-4-3_9-51-24.gif
@johnnyi
Neat you will have a whole new pond to play with now.
Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Just as a background to this project. We built our first pond in 2011/12 that turned out to be 1,200 gal and included 2 modest bogs that were just a shallow extension of the pond itself. That extension was lined with a weed guard type fabric and filled with dirt. The bogs had areas that were above the waterline and below by an inch or so.

Fast forward to the recent past - we decided to do a house remodel that included new windows, stucco replacing combed cedar shake siding and most significant to our pond, a new concrete deck that was to be built just an inch or so below floor grade. The deck spans the entire back of the house and extends out 10 feet to 17 feet from the house. Our original pond would be directly impacted by this expansion, so it had to be moved.

I made several design and build mistakes on the original pond that I would fix in the new pond's design. They include making the entry end of the pond the deepest as opposed to the shallowest part. The entry steps had too much rise. The pumps required too much piping because of where they needed to be placed versus their outlets. The pipes weren't able to be hidden. I created some holes in the rubber for the stream bed which led to a small but continuous leaking and, of course, I cut the rubber too close which also led to occasional leakage.

Other issues that I wanted to address this time around was to create better sight lines for photography around the pond. I had planted too many tall things in the foreground that blocked pictures of birds bathing in the stream for instance. The bogs were hard for us to maintain.

There were a great many good things about the original but we want to make this one better (for us). The next installment will describe the new design.

John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
20180325_125454.jpg

View from approximately the north end of our old pond looking south. You can see the new concrete patio that is near floor grade ( about 14" above ground). It comes out 10' from the west wall of the house. I'm standing on the 17' projection that extends along the house to the north end. The center of the photo is about the center of the old pond. The concrete covers about 3' of the old pond hence the need to fill it in and build a new pond.
20180325_125457.jpg

I've turned to the right about 45 degrees. The ropes represent the longest and widest dimensions from the projected top of the surrounding berm. The water level would be about an inch lower than the ropes. You can see the shelf going around the perimeter. It is approximately 10 to 12 inches deep and will end up being about 9 to 12 inches wide. It is much wider on the near side currently, but I'll be fixing that as I progress.
20180325_125500.jpg

Pivoted to the right again. The left-right rope is about 29', berm top to berm top, and the other is about 16'. The greatest depth will be on the left, south end, and should be 34". The right end, north end, should be about 28" deep. There will be steps into the pond from the north end to hopefully make it easier to get in and out for maintenance.

The 130 gal stock tank in the background will serve as a gravity filter (as it did in the previous build). Notice that there is a roughly shaped mound going north from the stock tank and paralleling the western shore of the pond. That will be the path of the stream bed that will then curve back to the northwest corner of the pond via a waterfall. The stream's purpose is both aesthetic and to serve as a horizontal trickle tower type filter. To that end it will have lots of 1 to 2 inch diameter river rock in it. It worked extremely well in the last build.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
20180409_113119.jpg
20180409_113122.jpg
20180409_113128.jpg
20180409_113131.jpg
20180409_113134.jpg

This is about the same series except these were taken just now and show that northern part of the patio. The structure that is just visible on the right side of the last picture is our catio. It isn't functional yet but will be in the next month or so. You can see in the third and forth pictures a pile of rocks that came out of the old build. I'm likely to need more.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You are on your way to a lovely spot to someday relax and enjoy all your efforts. As for now "Get back to work"! :LOL:

Ask a Question