Plant Placement

Reaction score
Yes on the holding pool for a bog. The filter I'm not so sure about. You only need the bio filter for the fish and with the size of the pool I'm guessing that you could get away without one if you were to keep the fish load low. The mechanical filter is what would keep the pond clean and you would need one of those. The bog idea might work with enough material put into it. Is it possible to pump into the bottom and let the water flow out the top?You will be fighting green water no matter what type of filter that you use. I'm not sure if you could get a UV light big enough to handle the volume of water in the pond buy you should look into it.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have a waterfall feature too, that has a holding pool a the top. Maybe about 100 gallons. Could I could turn that into a gravel bog? I guess the water would have to flow out the bottom?

If you plans for using this as a planting area is purely for aesthetic purposes, it would look nice. As a 'bog' for providing filtration, it will, but the amount of filtration that a 100 gallon 'bog' would provide would be negligible for a 20,000 gallon pond. This is why I inquired in an earlier post about the spa area which would be of a size that would impact filtration.
The Ultima II filter is a good filter but the 20000 model is rated for ponds of 10,000 to 20,000 gallons so it is at best marginally large enough. I would recommend the 30000 (about $700 more) that is rated for ponds of 20,000 to 30,000 gallons.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So the mechanical filter or bog would keep the water more clear? I don't mind a moderate amount green - its just algae right? I do want to keep fish in the pool - normal local pond fish like minnows, shad, bluegill, and bass. I'm not planning on putting many in, but I assume they'll procreate and find a natural balance. I figure the minnows and shad will eat the algae, and the bluegill and bass will eat the minnows and shad.

I have about 60 square feet of surface area planter for the planters. I could make them a foot deep without a problem ( which I guess is recommended), and plumb it so water came from below and pushed out to the top. I could also make a 4ft x 4ft x 4ft holding pond in my waterfall, and also push water up from the bottom.

The pool is about 50,000 gallons.

Would that and the bigger bio filter do the trick?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Would that and the bigger bio filter do the trick?

No sugar coating....probably not in the long term.
If you were also to heavily plant the pond itself, you would then have enough bioconversion to handle a reasonable fish load. It really depends on how many and what specie fish you are planning on having to determine an initial fish load (Total mass). This total mass figure is used to determine exactly how much surface area you will need for adequate bioconversion (nitrification). It is really the fish load (mass) that determines how much supplemental filtration you would (will) need.

Ask a Question