Plant Placement

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, I'm new to this forum. I'm just starting to plan my pool to pond conversion. My biggest question is where to put the plants. I have swimming dogs so they'll mess up any plants in the main pool. However, I have some big planter beds right next to the pool. I'm tentatively planning on sealing the beds at the bottom so water can't leak into the earth, and then carving a channel between the pool and the beds so water can flow back and forth. So, couple of questions : 1. Will it be a problem if the plants are outside of the main pool area since there will be limited water flow between the two areas? I could potentially reroute a waterfall feature to flow more water through the planters. I suppose that would filter more water, but is it worth the hassle? 2. How deep should the sealed planter beds be, and can I just put in dirt with gravel or rocks on top to keep it fairly clean. Any general advice would be appreciated too.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Have you looked at creating a bog? That kinda sounds like what you are talking about but would involve some plumbing to keep the water circulating and not stagnant.
If you search for bog's in the search box, you will find a bunch of information on it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd just carve a channel in the tile between the two areas. They are very close. Here's a pic that illustrates.

I'll have a bio filter to clean the water, but I heard that you also want plants to keep the water clean and healthy.

Attachments

• planters.jpg
    planters.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 254

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi all, I'm new to this forum. I'm just starting to plan my pool to pond conversion. My biggest question is where to put the plants. I have swimming dogs so they'll mess up any plants in the main pool. However, I have some big planter beds right next to the pool. I'm tentatively planning on sealing the beds at the bottom so water can't leak into the earth, and then carving a channel between the pool and the beds so water can flow back and forth. So, couple of questions : 1. Will it be a problem if the plants are outside of the main pool area since there will be limited water flow between the two areas? I could potentially reroute a waterfall feature to flow more water through the planters. I suppose that would filter more water, but is it worth the hassle? 2. How deep should the sealed planter beds be, and can I just put in dirt with gravel or rocks on top to keep it fairly clean. Any general advice would be appreciated too.

Can't tell from the photo, but does your pool have an attached 'spa' area?

Reaction score
Country
United States
ah, no, my wife likes the spa. That was non-negotiable. I like the idea of a bog though. I think I'll only have four inches or so of drop from my planter / bog to pond level. Is that enough ?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A difference in elevation is not necessary, making the connection between the existing pool and the proposed planting area leakproof...is!
Are you planning on having fish? If so, keeping the 'spa' connected to the main plumbing for the pond is not the healthiest route.

Reaction score
Country
United States
yes, I am planning on having fish. I'm going to completely separate the plumbing between the spa and the pond/pool.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Right. I'm thinking of raising the water level so it's nearly to the top of the coping, and drilling a hole in the side of the coping to let water into the planter. I want to plant horsetail reeds in the planter.

Reaction score
Is this a liner pool or a gunite one? Not that it really matters but I would think long and hard before converting it. That is a huge investment that someone in the future may really want. If you do convert it then I would spend the money on a liner and reline it, make it black. I would also fill in parts of it and reshape it to something more pond like. (you could also ask for a tax cut since you no longer have a pool) A swimming pool used as a pond is going to look like a swimming pool only with fish in it. A white or blue pond is not going to look right (IMHO). You are going to want slime to grow on the sides and that slime will never come off the pool once it starts so the pool will be ruined. The filter for the pool will have to go, it won't work on a fish pond. You mentioned that you have a bio filter, for a pool that size depending on the number of fish will have to be a huge filter. You will also need a huge mechanical filter. I don't think that the idea of putting the plants outside will do much good. The plant roots should be in the water or in a bog and you won't have enough water entering a small cut out to do much good. Plus if this is a liner pool then water can and probably will get behind the liner and your pond will leak. You could go with a lot of floating plants. If you plant in the pool than use kitty litter instead of dirt. It's cleaner and the plants do well in it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a little more leeway here since I'm in this house for the duration, so how this might effect resale value is not important to me.

Anyway, the pool is a gunite one, with black pebbletec exterior, with a bunch of fake boulders on the outside. It already looks fairly pondy. We've let the pool go before and the slime died and came off once we added chlorine and turned on the pool sweep. It looked pretty good IMO as a psuedo-pond, but needed more plants around it. Nice if the water was a little less green too.

I had a consultant come out and he told me we could add a bio filter for $2000 that would do the trick. Ultima II 20,000 Filter 2" Head A50119 $2,008.99 Does that sound about right to you? We'll just use the existing filter for the spa, which has a distinct plumbing system

I think you are right about the planter plants. I'll just have them there for decoration and not worry about making them filter the water. Maybe put some chained logs to separate an area for floating plants, so my dogs can't get at them

I have a waterfall feature too, that has a holding pool a the top. Maybe about 100 gallons. Could I could turn that into a gravel bog? I guess the water would have to flow out the bottom?

Ask a Question