Plants growing through liner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Welcome, John! In my farm pond (it's about a 1.5 acre pond) the red-winged blackbirds build their nests in the cattails that surround that pond. Once started, native regular sized cattails are very hard to stop on open water ponds. In my bogs, I think I will take the recommendations above and put my dwarf cattails in pots where they cannot spread so freely. Also wondering if my dwarfs would have bloomed more had them been more confined and root bound! I can't imagine a cattail's roots pushing through a 45 mil liner, but wonders never cease to amaze me! Always possibilities out there I have never thought possible.
I also have an oak tree that is too close to my goldfish pond, but as others have said, I'm hoping for the path of least resistance keeping roots from pushing through the liner. Since oak tree roots tend to go deep, I'm hoping it will go under the pond, rather than through it. It's about 12' tall now, and slow grower, so time will tell.
Your pond is really beautiful! Really pretty lilies. Nice to see bright blooms, even if they are last summer's pics.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The dwarf cat tails usually don't start blooming until the second summer of growing. That is what mine did. Mine are free growing, so far no real issue in controlling, just yank and toss if they take over an area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I started out with maybe a clump of 6" diameter of dwarfs 2 years ago, they grew and spread. Last spring, I separated them to spread them out and added several plants to the goldfish bog. I suspect I have at least 10-12 plants from each individual plant put in the bog, and that's more than I really want. I did get one cattail last year, and actually from one that was moved to the new bog. So, maybe this year I'll get more ... if I don't move and transplant them again. :) They got a little bit out of control, too many of them for my liking, so going to keep them more in one or two areas of each bog, rather than across the entire length, which is what I did last year. Learning as I go .... and loving it!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
all I know is the pond at the other house used to have an inny now it has an outy .The trees on the land were all scrub pine or just volunteer trees .Everything from wild cherry (which by the way now smells great burning in my fireplace )to locust and whatever else .Scrub pines are a nightmare also ,black ants and red ants just love to live by them and there bites can be nasty .It looks a lot better now than it did back then .I have to take new pics one of these days .I have not been over there since last september

Attachments

• arthur and wade rd house 003.JPG
    arthur and wade rd house 003.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 365
  • pond x wade road house 013.JPG
    pond x wade road house 013.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 386
  • pond x wade road house 009.JPG
    pond x wade road house 009.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 415
  • arthur and wade rd house 011.JPG
    arthur and wade rd house 011.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 360
Reaction score
DrCase said:
It was a thin swimming pool liner i saw it come through , it came up were ever it wanted
Digging down 4" would have saved the pool
Interesting. Was there a ground cover tarp or underlay under the pool liner?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Sissy, I noticed the horses were behind what looked like barb wire without the barbs. I've never seen that before. Interesting, as horses tend to run into fences when first introduced to them, at least new colts always do, and around here no one uses barbed wire except for cows. It's a much stronger wire, though, so found it interesting.

Ask a Question