Platinum Ogon

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm going to put them into an aboveground pool, and the one I found has a virgin vinyl liner. Is that safe for fish?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Vinyl liners have a very short life span. It really depends on the manufacturer. Some are just thin vinyl, some of the better ones are re-inforced vinyl which will last longer, but none have the durability or longevity of EPDM. They are usually safe for fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm going to get the EPDM liner. Hopefully my last question: My pond is 1100 gallons (give or take) and has a water spout and an aerator meant for a 2000 gallon pond. It also circulates very well. But the oxygen test is reading 2-3 mg/l. Could this be right? If so, what else should I add?

Extra info:

There's 6 comets (at around 5-6 inches) and 2 koi (at around 6-7 inches)
There're 12 hyacinth plants
I took the oxygen test at around 7:45 pm (could it be that the plants are taking up the oxygen at night)

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How old is your Oxygen test kit? What brand is it? It is obviously in error. The fish would be showing obvious signs of stress at levels that low.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just bought it two days ago, but I don't know how long he had it in his store. The fish look fine. They're eating, they're not gulping, they don't even hover near the spout. The brand is sera. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? I fill it to the top, add reagent 1, add reagent 2, close the bottle and shake, remove the lid.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would get my money back. If reagents get too old they will give false readings. Apparently, this is one of those times.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pond shop owner gives me discounts for being a regular, I'm sure he'll give me no trouble about replacing the oxygen test. Thanks for the reassurance that I'm not either a) incapable of doing an oxygen test or b) killing my fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I just pick Val and I a very nive ocichiba shiguri in our clubs grow and show competition we were picked from the hat third place and our first choice of koi a shiro Utsuri had gone already however its a very nicce koi indeed and we are very happy with it .
Interestingly they were all picked at the same size ^" this koi has since grown on about 4" more :happy: I'll have to get a photo done , I think you'll like it Jenny I really do

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Dave 54
I have tons of questions as these competitions are so interesting to me! How long ago did you pick the koi? What size did it start at? How long do you grow it for before you bring it back? Did you have to pay for it? Do you get to keep it? What do you win (if you win)? How do you find these contests in your area? What method are you using to grow it out? I'd love a picture!!!! Sorry for all the questions :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The club initially buys the koi from a dealership up country from us so we know we have a set number of koi , they have photo's taken firstly at the size they were bought , then again at the start of the competition lastly again in November ready for the photographic competition which is seperatte from the grow and show.
Everyone is asked to vote on the koi that has done the best during this time both in size and colour, the winner winning a Trophy that is returned for the next competition and the winners name engraved and a Glass Trophy that is yours to keep
I feed the koi a mixture o both natural and pelleted food that is correct for that time of the year four feeds daily .
If you dont have a koi club in your area why not think about starting one, in 1991 I met a guy called Steve at a fish shop that had gone into recievership we got to talking about koi had a face to face meeting with him to thrash out some ideas and the rest they say is history we have a koii club with over 50 families membershipwise
We allso hold a koi show once a year in July there are twelve Vats full of koi and we get good attendance Val and I with the help of others are the only couple to have shown at all the shows but ill health is upon me and I cant see us doing it much past 25 shows :happy:

If you need to know about the shows it would be better you PM me as it takes a bit of explaining

Dave.

Last edited:

Ask a Question