Platinum Ogon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Question for everyone: Can i have more than one kind of media in my external filter?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I just bought another kind that's very porous and perfect for growing bacteria, but there' s not enough to treat my pond, so I was going to combine it with the not-as-good type.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Jenny, you said you are putting goldfish in with your koi, right? You do realize they will cross breed, right? If/when your koi get old enough to breed, are you going to remove the goldfish or leave them in there? I ended up separating goldfish from koi, because I didn't want the "crossbreds". :) Figure you know this, but wanted to be sure, since you are talking about breeding the Ogon's.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The comets are kept with my pond quality fish. The ogons will have their own pond only for purebreeds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I ordered an air pump and air stone (two separate purchases) that came today. My hose didn't fit into both ends, so I plugged a hose into the air pump, but stuck the other end into a sponge from an old filter. It's not secured, but it's staying in there and the bubbles are going through the sponge, though they're fairly strong. Is this a problem or does it work?

Reaction score
Country
United States
New fish may have white spots near their eyes. They're platinum ogon, so it may be blemishes that are a slightly off-white. Or I could be paranoid. I'm pretty sure it's only on one fish, but it's hard to tell. I'm treating with anti-parasites and I'll get pictures first thing tomorrow morning. They're probably going to spawn tomorrow morning so when I remove them from the spawning tank I can inspect closer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
New fish may have white spots near their eyes. They're platinum ogon, so it may be blemishes that are a slightly off-white. Or I could be paranoid. I'm pretty sure it's only on one fish, but it's hard to tell. I'm treating with anti-parasites and I'll get pictures first thing tomorrow morning. They're probably going to spawn tomorrow morning so when I remove them from the spawning tank I can inspect closer.
I fail to see how you can pick up on any blemishes especially white spots on a platinum Ogon Jenny unless it developes a few black shimmys which many do after a few years a little like Kuhaku's do .
You have only just bought them thus they shouldnt as yet be used for spawming the female needs to grow some more first and also bu;lk up alott .
So forgive me for being a tad harsh on you I wouldt breed from these koi for at least two years or more to give them more of a head start in life, stop trying to run before you can walk .....

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
They're more like a silvery cloudy spot by the eye.

Also, the female is 15" and very wide.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Still give her time to settle in think everything in your pond from its smell and taste is new to her at the moment

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, so I took a closer look, and they're actually not parasites. And @Dave 54 I separated the females and males. She's doing very well, but I decided better safe than sorry, so I'm giving her time to just chill and be a gal.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So I ordered an air pump and air stone (two separate purchases) that came today. My hose didn't fit into both ends, so I plugged a hose into the air pump, but stuck the other end into a sponge from an old filter. It's not secured, but it's staying in there and the bubbles are going through the sponge, though they're fairly strong. Is this a problem or does it work?
Sponge is no substitute for an airstone or diffuser plate. To be effective an aerator unit must produce small bubbles. The main purpose of an aerator is not to add Oxygen through the bubbles but to use the bubbles to lift the water causing it to circulate thereby exposing mor water to the surface where Oxygenation takes place. It you are not lifting the water, you are not really accomplishing anything.

Ask a Question