Please give me some ideas for a pond

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys,

First post here from Sydney Australia. I need some ideas for concepts for a pond.

The area I have is very narrow. Approx 3500mm x 800mm to play with.

There is a natural slope in this location (the paved area beside it is slightly sloping, say 150mm over the length of the pond area)

The constraints is there are two cement footings for the fence posts.

I had a couple of ideas:

1. 2 x pine sleeper boxes, one cascades into the other. The top one is a bog pond with plants. Since the will be a footing between the two boxes, the distance that needs to be bridged for the water to cascade into the other pond will be approx 350mm.

2. A more natural looking pond, just put underlay and liner, maybe a little stream at the high end. Alternatively, I can get a small preformed rectangular pond, with lined stream trickling into the pond.

Just aiming to stock with a few goldfish, a soft water trickling sound.

Really stuck for ideas, any ideas of concepts would be greatly appreciated! :)

Attached photos for reference

Attachments

• IMG_4983.JPG
    IMG_4983.JPG
    342.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4492.JPG
    IMG_4492.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2350.JPG
    IMG_2350.JPG
    277.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_7818.JPG
    IMG_7818.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 106
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You really are squeezed for space there... you could build a long, narrow stream like pond, but I would hesitate to put anything too close to the fence. The constant moisture could affect the integrity of the fence. Plus you really have no room for any rock work at all - you're talking about less than three feet wide. Even a small rock on either side would reduce that space even further. That's just my opinion though - others may chime in with more positive support!

What about a pond ON the patio? You could build a raised pond - there are a few examples on this forum.

Here's one the Pond Digger built a few years ago - this is part one. The series is fun to watch:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The box idea would allow you to raise it up, making it more level, and the bog could also be used to grow some food stuffs for you! But, that is a narrow area. If you do build there, be sure to waterproof the fence very well, as the excess moisture could damage it.
With such a small space, just a few goldfish, maybe fancy kinds rather than common, comets, as with smaller fish it would be easier for them to move around.

Ask a Question