Please help!

Discussion in 'Illness and Disease' started by Christie Masion, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Christie Masion

Christie Masion

I just got back in town, and went out to check on my precious Koi, Kevin. I noticed these bumps/abrasions on him, and am hoping someone here can tell me what they are, and what to do.

Thank you for your help,
    Christie

Attached Files:

Christie Masion, Jan 25, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Christie Masion

sissy sissy

Do you test your water and could a predator got in your pond .Ammonia and ph are really important no matter what sized pond you have .API pond test kit .How many fish do you have and what kind of filter and do you have an aerator .How deep and how many gallons is your pond .Can you get medication for him near you .

sissy, Jan 25, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Christie Masion

Christie Masion

Hi, and thank you for reaching out. I haven't checked his water ph yet. We have a 5 filter system on his pond, the aerator is currently turned off because of the winter, and it's about a 150 gallon pond. He is the only fish in the pond.

4. Christie Masion

Lisak1

150 gallons! Oh my. That's a big fish for that small pond. When you say "5 filter system" what do you mean? And the aerator is turned off for the winter why?

Welcome by the way - stick with us! You'll get the answers you need - but we may have more questions first!

Lisak1, Jan 25, 2018
    JBtheExplorer, Gemma and sissy like this.
  5. Christie Masion

sissy sissy

How big is your fish .I have koi and they are over 2 feet long .Hopefully you are not feeding him .Ammonia can be harmful

sissy, Jan 25, 2018
  6. Christie Masion

Tula

It's an infection, the question is how Kevin got it....predator, parasite or scraped on something.....then infection set in due to poor water quality?

Tula, Jan 25, 2018
    Dave 54, Gemma and sissy like this.
  7. Christie Masion

Christie Masion

Yes, Kevin is huge! I will ask John about the filtration system when he gets home from work, because he's the one that set it up.
    Thank you for your reply!!

8. Christie Masion

Christie Masion

I spoke with the owner of Summit View Koi in Puyallup, WA and she said he has ulcers from what I described to her. She said I need to treat the pond with water softener salt, so it will help work the ulcers out of Kevin's body. I feel just terrible that I didn't catch this sooner, and feel totally blindsided by this experience.

9. Christie Masion

Gemma

I hope he recovers!
    Ever thought of building him a larger pond so he can have a couple of friends?

Gemma, Jan 25, 2018
  10. Christie Masion

sissy sissy

I never understood these so called experts that think salt is the cure all .Salt can cause the fish to rub against things more .They are ulcers but where they came from is the question .Poor water quality or predator .You need to test your water

sissy, Jan 25, 2018
  11. Christie Masion

Tula

An ulcer is an infection. You need to think about why Kevin developed them. If this were my fish, I'd begin by testing the water for ammonia , nitrite, nitrates and PH.

Tula, Jan 26, 2018
    Dave 54 and sissy like this.
  12. Christie Masion

Dave 54

That would also have been my diagnoses Christie sadly I've not been here for the past year or I would have told you what it was.I strongly agree with Tula over testing your water perameter's .The five Five filter system are you trying to describe a multi-bay filter per chance ?
    Could you please tell me if you gave it a good clean before the winter , as for areiation we never turn ours off not on the pond or in our filter bays (one in each bay but not the vortex would do your pond
    We keep much of the cold out by covering it in Policarbonate sheeting.

Dave 54

Dave 54, Jan 27, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question