Please help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just got back in town, and went out to check on my precious Koi, Kevin. I noticed these bumps/abrasions on him, and am hoping someone here can tell me what they are, and what to do.

Thank you for your help,
Christie

Attachments

• Kevin weird skin thing.jpg
    Kevin weird skin thing.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 294

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do you test your water and could a predator got in your pond .Ammonia and ph are really important no matter what sized pond you have .API pond test kit .How many fish do you have and what kind of filter and do you have an aerator .How deep and how many gallons is your pond .Can you get medication for him near you .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you test your water and could a predator got in your pond .Ammonia and ph are really important no matter what sized pond you have .API pond test kit .How many fish do you have and what kind of filter and do you have an aerator .How deep and how many gallons is your pond .Can you get medication for him near you .
Hi, and thank you for reaching out. I haven't checked his water ph yet. We have a 5 filter system on his pond, the aerator is currently turned off because of the winter, and it's about a 150 gallon pond. He is the only fish in the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
150 gallons! Oh my. That's a big fish for that small pond. When you say "5 filter system" what do you mean? And the aerator is turned off for the winter why?

Welcome by the way - stick with us! You'll get the answers you need - but we may have more questions first!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How big is your fish .I have koi and they are over 2 feet long .Hopefully you are not feeding him .Ammonia can be harmful

Reaction score
Country
United States
150 gallons! Oh my. That's a big fish for that small pond. When you say "5 filter system" what do you mean? And the aerator is turned off for the winter why?

Welcome by the way - stick with us! You'll get the answers you need - but we may have more questions first!
Yes, Kevin is huge! I will ask John about the filtration system when he gets home from work, because he's the one that set it up.
Thank you for your reply!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's an infection, the question is how Kevin got it....predator, parasite or scraped on something.....then infection set in due to poor water quality?
I spoke with the owner of Summit View Koi in Puyallup, WA and she said he has ulcers from what I described to her. She said I need to treat the pond with water softener salt, so it will help work the ulcers out of Kevin's body. I feel just terrible that I didn't catch this sooner, and feel totally blindsided by this experience.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I hope he recovers!
Ever thought of building him a larger pond so he can have a couple of friends?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I never understood these so called experts that think salt is the cure all .Salt can cause the fish to rub against things more .They are ulcers but where they came from is the question .Poor water quality or predator .You need to test your water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I spoke with the owner of Summit View Koi in Puyallup, WA and she said he has ulcers from what I described to her. She said I need to treat the pond with water softener salt, so it will help work the ulcers out of Kevin's body. I feel just terrible that I didn't catch this sooner, and feel totally blindsided by this experience.
An ulcer is an infection. You need to think about why Kevin developed them. If this were my fish, I'd begin by testing the water for ammonia , nitrite, nitrates and PH.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
An ulcer is an infection. You need to think about why Kevin developed them. If this were my fish, I'd begin by testing the water for ammonia , nitrite, nitrates and PH.
That would also have been my diagnoses Christie sadly I've not been here for the past year or I would have told you what it was.I strongly agree with Tula over testing your water perameter's .The five Five filter system are you trying to describe a multi-bay filter per chance ?
Could you please tell me if you gave it a good clean before the winter , as for areiation we never turn ours off not on the pond or in our filter bays (one in each bay but not the vortex would do your pond
We keep much of the cold out by covering it in Policarbonate sheeting.

Dave 54

Ask a Question