Please help ID bird....or at least its morphed colors!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
i just saw this guy in the backyard. Almost 100% certain it is a wren.....but the coloration was shocking! Unable to get a pic, but will keep trying.

I used my paint app to “doctor” this Google image as closely as I was able to recall details. Bird’s body was a solid, light gray — almost white. Wings and tail very dark brown, almost black. Don’t recall if there were any markings on the face, but I added a mark here. Except for the color, the bird looked like a wren and acted like a wren.....and there were 2 other wrens nearby.

Headed back outside for another sighting.

DAD4363A-9B68-4050-98E4-211F8B626C0F.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I hope you are able to get a photo, as it sounds really interesting! I wonder if it was a Leucistic wren?

Other than that, the only guess I have is snow bunting.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Almost, exactly....except it was more “wren” shaped.... slightly different body shape, longer beak, perky, upturned tail. It flitted around like a wren and there were at least 2 other (for sure) wrens hanging out with it — and a wren off in the near distance, calling. My impression was this was a family with fledgling young — except that THIS bird was not wren colored or marked.

What is the bird you have pictured? Is that a snow bunting? Would they be in Louisiana? Striking bird!
I hope you are able to get a photo, as it sounds really interesting! I wonder if it was a Leucistic wren?

Other than that, the only guess I have is snow bunting.

I wondered about “leucistic,” but the only word I could remember was the opposite word, “melanistic,” so you might be right.

I went back out but there was no sign of the birds (they had been in my compost), and the mosquitoes were killing me, so came back inside.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Possibly a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher. They can look fairly light and move like a wren a bit.
Maybe....looking at that one now, but my bird had a LOT of contrast in its color pattern — rather than shading. Very light contrasted with very dark.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What is the bird you have pictured? Is that a snow bunting? Would they be in Louisiana? Striking bird!.

Yep, that is the snow bunting. But they definitely wouldn't migrate down your way, sorry I didn't take note of your location.

I hope your bird comes back!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Do you have a Birdwatcher's Supply Store in your area? I saw an unusual bird just the other day. I called over to our store, and the woman there was so enthusiastic and happy to help. She made suggestions and called her boss, even. She gave me her personal cell number so I could text my fuzzy picture. We determined it was a Hooded Warbler -- striking bird!!!! But any of those stores or even local birdwatching groups would probably be happy to help!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had a parakeet that looked just like that when hubby and I got married.There was 2 of them but the other one had a big blue spot on his chest

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Also, I got out my Peterson's Field Guide. Nuthatches are right next to wrens in the book. Could it have been one of those?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Also, I got out my Peterson's Field Guide. Nuthatches are right next to wrens in the book. Could it have been one of those?
Already considered a NH, but I’m familiar with them and this guy didn’t look like a NH.
Do you have a Birdwatcher's Supply Store in your area? I saw an unusual bird just the other day. I called over to our store, and the woman there was so enthusiastic and happy to help. She made suggestions and called her boss, even. She gave me her personal cell number so I could text my fuzzy picture. We determined it was a Hooded Warbler -- striking bird!!!! But any of those stores or even local birdwatching groups would probably be happy to help!
We used to have a Wild Bird Center and it was an excellent resource. But the couple retired and moved to Arkansas last year. I did send a message to the wife, so will see what she says.

Ask a Question