please in need of help

Reaction score
ok just a quick update did a nitrite check on the out side pond and it is now reading 0ppm, I know i still need to change out some water since i did put salt in to it.

Reaction score
The fish all seem to be ok and zorror the one with the red spot seems to be getting better the redness seems to be going down a good bit.

Reaction score
pondbuilder13 said:
ok but remember you cant change more then 50% of the pond water

~marino~

Why not? If there were an established biofilter in place maybe, but if a (relatively small) pond is experiencing high nitrite or ammonia levels a big water change is always the best way to address that IMHO.

I'm glad your nitrite levels are looking better, but I'd probably keep a very close eye on them and check daily for the next week or so. That nitrite spike didn't just come out of nowhere, and you haven't identified the underlying problem. If you've got water quality issues going on in your pond you'll eventually end up with more sick fish than just this one...

Reaction score
i will be keeping a close eye on it for a good while, Im also going to leave all the little koi in the medical tank for the next week and the white one with the ulcer is going to stay in for 3 more week till i think he is ready. I wanted to say thank you to everyone that was kind enough to share there opinions with me.I will keep you guys informed on what the status is during the next few weeks. Thank you very much.

Reaction score
You can change their water drastically cause it will shock the fish and either put them out cold or they will die ..... And we don't want that

Reaction score
I agree with you- if the water parameters were to be different between the old and new water. But in a newly established pond the water parameters should not have had a chance to shift from tap water (or whatever the original water source is), so a water change can only be beneficial in the case of high ammonia or nitrites.

Of course, in a very large pond that wouldn't be practical... and it's also less likely to be needed as the larger volume of water would dilute the waste, unless someone added a large bioload of fish all at once.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Chloramines from tap water put ammonia directly into your water stream, and most dechlor won't touch the ammonia. With the UV, you're not seeing any algae spike, but that's where your nitrite spike may be coming from. I'd put a mesh bag of zeolite in your water flow, esp. if you're just using tap water to top off. Put it after the biofilter, so the bacteria can use the ammonia to grow.

I never heard what kind of biofilter you've got. Just a separate bog garden is insufficient biological filtration, and probably where your problems lie as your fish grow. Check out the DIY section of the site to see how to fix this easily and cheaply.

Reaction score
I agree with Laural, I believe you have a cycling issue, cleaning your filters incorrectly can kill off all the beneficial Bacterial that are trying to establish. Yes that is an ulcer, and is a red flag for poor water quality and stressed fish. Try salting the removed fish ( aquarium salt) and raise the temp in the tank to about 78-79 degrees while it this is very warm, it speeds up the healing process, best of luck

Justin

Ask a Question