pond cleaning

Reaction score
hello all,
I have moved into a home with a pond. The pond filter was broken and never replaced. Instead we run fresh water in the pond for about an hour a day. Two hours if really hot. The water is agricultural water and high in algae. Ther are lots and lots of flowers. The pond is teeming with life. Even have crawdads. The koi are breeding and everything seems very happy. It has never been cleaned. Kind of don't want to touch it because l all the life in it is flourishing so much. Just wondering if someday things might start dying because it is so dirty-or is it just self sustaining. Do the plants keep it clean? I don't use any additives and for the most part, the fish just eat the algae.
Any feedback is appreciated.

Sesen

Reaction score
Man made ponds are artificial constructs and may well develop problems over time. As plants decay and uneaten fish food settle to the bottom of the pond, rotting organic debris emits ammonia and nitrites.

As concentrations of these compounds rise, your fish will begin to die. Ammonia is toxic to fish. Nitrites cause problems with their nervous systems and can bind their red blood cells.

Filtration combined with the use of pond friendly bacteria are necessary for a healthy ecosystem.

At the very least, you should get a pond water testing kit to check the water quality of your pond.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I agree with Chef Dave, you really need to circulate the water and add some kind of bio filter. This pond could go septic at any time.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your advice on this.
Would hate to see anything happen to my fishies and frogs.

Ask a Question