Deep cleaning pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
ASAP HELP! Is it recommended to periodically have a “deep cleaning” of pond removing all algae from liner?? Had a reputable pond repair person recommend power washing all algae off liner & rocks including pulling 12 large koi & 20+ goldfish out of my 5,800 gal pond ~13 years old to clean it. Price seems high$1,700 & I’m concerned removing all algae may destroy balance in the pond? I do you have a problem with some string algae, but water quality & filtering keeps in check.
THANKS!!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
No do not power wash your pond, it will destroy the biofilm. Algae can be starved out by plants and proper circulation.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
NOT! Removing all the algae from the liner is removing all the beneficial stuff! You would be starting over from scratch. Why have a total cleaning done if you don't have a problem? String algae can be removed and I'm sure your fish are enjoying snacking on it. Pond companies do cleanings so they can stay in business. They clean your pond, throw off the balance and then sell you hundreds of dollars of chemicals to fix a problem they caused.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If it were me... if the fish are fine and water quality was good, (I think you said that). I would leave well enough alone. Plus $1,700... that's a good sum of money.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
No. As everyone else has said, that is all a part of the balanced ecosystem. I used my string algae remover (aka toilet brush) to gently scrub a little excess algae off some of the grungy rocks this spring. Entertainment for the fish!!!!! They thought it was the best thing to ever happen to them! All the rest of the algae mostly died off when the plants started absorbing excess nutrients. It doesn't look pristine, but it's not supposed to.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Backyard koi ! You've gotten the answer you were looking for (I hope!) but I just wanted to say welcome to the GPF and we hope you'll stick around! And we'd LOVE to see pictures of your pond!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
NEVER EVER CLEAN IT LIKE THAT you are starting over and cleaning it that way can cause holes in your liner .look on youtube the horror stories

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the group and do not power wash your pond.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
My guess is he wanted to fill his pockets with $1700 dollars of yours. To be fair I'd ask yourself what's went wrong with the 13 yrs you've had your pond to encourage you to do this, I'm going to guess very little so I would ignore the advice & trust your gut on this one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The only pond type that gets power washed is an aquascapes pond. The reason they have to be gutted and cleaned down to the liner is because of the design. No bottom drains and massive gravel filters. No place for the koi waste to be removed in the design. They should be cleaned every two years AND are not compatible with higher density fish populations. I don’t know how many aquascapes ponds we have converted when the owner decides to have more fish in the pond. We even had one that developed red tide in the gravel filter. Fish were dying by the day with few lesions.

A bottom drained pond will become mature in about two years with a beautiful inch thick coating of algae, flora and fauna that filters and feels like lush carpet on your bare feet. That’s what you want.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
not compatible with higher density fish populations

That's the only part of that comment I'll agree with. An eco-system pond relies on a well balanced system, which includes maintaining a low fish load. I have an Aquascape style pond that has never been power washed, never been "gutted" or cleaned down to the liner. In seven years we've never lost a fish to disease.

Knowing what kind of pond one desires to keep - a garden pond or a dedicated koi pond - is the first important decision a potential pond owner should ask themselves as it definitely matters how the pond is built.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That's the only part of that comment I'll agree with. An eco-system pond relies on a well balanced system, which includes maintaining a low fish load. I have an Aquascape style pond that has never been power washed, never been "gutted" or cleaned down to the liner. In seven years we've never lost a fish to disease.

Knowing what kind of pond one desires to keep - a garden pond or a dedicated koi pond - is the first important decision a potential pond owner should ask themselves as it definitely matters how the pond is built.
I’m only repeating what our aquascapes contractor in our club has stated. They should be deep cleaned every two years. He builds them and just cleaned his 30,000 gallon aquascapes pond this year after waiting three years. His gravel filter is nine feet deep. He used a backhoe to remove the gravel and boulders. That’s not my opinion. It’s an aquascapes contractors stated guidance. I have nothing personally against an aquscapes pond. It’s just one of the eight different types of ponds.
I have been to a remarkable aquascapes pond, 24,000 gallons with the biggest gravel filter I have ever seen. It’s in perfect condition and has never been deep cleaned in 15 years. That said I’ve had to help a number of aquascapes owners who had to convert because of high infection rates and high mortality, but they also decided to add very large schools of koi and operated at the 20 to 40 gallon per pound levels that this type of pond was never designed for. No offense intended.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond is basic, filtered with a big bog. I quit cleaning the bottom of the pond years ago, nothing ever built up. The only bog cleaning is removing excess plants and dead plants in the fall and spring.

Still running great 8 years after being built.

Ask a Question