Pond cleaning

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have two waterfalls, 1 jug and at night two bubbles turn on for 8 hours.

Attachments

• 20220107_113924.jpg
    20220107_113924.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 19

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my waterfall ond spitters just pvc pipes and parts add air there also . I have 4 of them now , there was only 1 then 2 then 3 and then 4 . an aerated pond is a healthy pond and my laguna pumps had extra power to push water . I learned never to rely on just 0ne pond pump and now that is more true than ever and mine 2 don't use much power . I tested them with my watt tester and only 115 watts for both added together and can be less if I clean them better . mucky stuff inside them slows them down . i just turn the pump off and pull the cage and spray them off with the hose .

Attachments

• DSC02576.JPG
    DSC02576.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC02567.JPG
    DSC02567.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC02560.JPG
    DSC02560.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My biggest problem let year was string algae.It was so bad that i couldn’t see my fish. It is easy to remove but it keeps coming back .
more plants, less feeding, or a lot more bog filtratrion (which gives you the more plants option easier and better); remember, small ponds are harder to manage than larger ones...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
HAIR ALGAE IS NOT A BAD THING BUT IT CAN GET OUT OF CONTROL . It is actually a sign of health believe it or not. What it truly is showing you is that there is an imbalance. That there is more nutrients in the water then there is contenders to absorb and consume those nutrients. So the idea is heavy bio load " leaves and such laying at the bottom of the pond" is going to decay in the water and release those nutrients into the water. Now who is going to take up those nutrients will it be the Plants in your system with the bog. plants that thrive and need compounds like potassium and nitrates. In the man made filters two very difficult products to remove. and the two largest contributors to algae.
Thus vacuum the bottom of the pond remove the leaves or netting is advised . but to drain the pond and remove the MUCK the layers of bacteria and algae is as @lisa said resulting in new pond syndrome where it's like starting over every year and yes you think it needs to be done again because at the end of the season as materials gather the algae starts but it has little bacteria and algae's and plants to help resolve the nutrient abundance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
hint I put abs pipe on the bottom of the pond with holes and slits cut in it and it is hooked up to one of the pump hoses and push's the stuff off the bottom of the pond to the filters . I have 2 laguna pumps running so extra sump pump hose goes to the pvc pipes and the abs pipes ,. The more air and the more water moving keeps my pond clean . You can see my spitters and my hoses in my pond build . I have learned to see things differently
Can't find that Pond Build Post?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I just scoop the bottom, and sift through each net full to rescue the salamanders, and tadpoles, before I toss it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have learned a lot on this forum and noticed folks here have very different ideas about maintaining a pond which is good
because it gives members many options .Like i said in a previous post i will vacuum the bottom without removing any water.
As far as cleaning the pumps i can get into the pond and do it.Thanks for all of your ideas.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have learned a lot on this forum and noticed folks here have very different ideas about maintaining a pond which is good
because it gives members many options .Like i said in a previous post i will vacuum the bottom without removing any water.
As far as cleaning the pumps i can get into the pond and do it.Thanks for all of your ideas.
The other great thing about this forum is no one cares what any one else does. As long as ideas are shared with the attitude of "this is what works for me" people are happy to listen, learn and take it or leave it.

Best forum on the internet!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

you don't have to get in; tie a rope to it and you can just haul it up, clean, lower it back. That's what I do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am really going to do what sissy did. That sounds like a good idea.

Ask a Question