Pond cleared up on its own!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
A couple months back I started on this forum. Unfortunately I have not kept up with it but I have on my pond. I got some great advise so thank you to all who helped me. I had a new pond and it was full of algae. The water was bright green and couldn't see anything and I thought I had to keep cleaning. Well, you all told me that was the worst thing I could do. I should just leave it and in a couple months it would clear up. I have to admit I was skeptical but I did as you said. I didn't even clean the filter. And now look at it!! The water is crystal clear! the lilly pads are getting huge and water lettuce is spreading like crazy and my Iris bloomed! Thank you all so much! I have even added 4 shubunkin goldfish and they are doing very well. I added them 2 at a time to not shock anything. I love it so much, I sit and watch it and the animals for hours, just so relaxing. I even have a frog! I was more excited about that before I found out that the neighbor kid caught one and put it in there but he is sticking around. Thanks again.

The picture of the iris was taken before the pond cleared but you can see how green the water was. It actually worse than that!

Attachments

• IMG_1416.JPG
    IMG_1416.JPG
    289.5 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_1418.JPG
    IMG_1418.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_1419.JPG
    IMG_1419.JPG
    238.8 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_1229.JPG
    IMG_1229.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 321
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Glad everything cleared up... Ponds take patience. :) I put water lettuce in my pond for the first time this year and it has done wonders to keep the water clear... not to mention it is multiplying like crazy and providing great shade for the koi on hot days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
if a pond is fertile enough to trigger an algae bloom, soon after it triggers the algae munching pond life, the aquatic plants, and between them, algae is crushed and starved out, unable to compete for fertility. The process of maturing a pond can be just weeks, with the addition of water samples from mature ponds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b-7a
Country
United States
Mine just did the same thing! I am so happy! I couldn't even see my fish before now. Thankfully they are all doing good. I have tried several products that were supposed to clear my pond over the last few months. Nothing helped.
I have let it be, except for daily feeding my (then invisible)fish, for a month. Then I went out this morning and it was completely clear!

Ask a Question