Pond created from Natural spring, mid creek

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have a area of my creek, dredged out to make a swimming hole. The natural spring runs into the swimming hole, and then out again into the creek. The creek has rocks at the bottom and the water runs clear but at the swimming hole the water is stagnate and muddy. How can I put a liner in when I cant stop the water from flowing in via the spring? Any other tips for this scenario? Thanks!

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. How about diverting the flow of the spring around the area you need to work on?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomeflowrs6.gif
@rhiannon
That might work @JRS but wonder how big this water hole is @rhiannon ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Diverting or if you have enough flow look into what is called a ram pump . that will pump water into the swimming hole from down below the swimming hole in the stream. fantastic engineering and requires no power yet can pump a decent stream of water up 30 feet in height like a garden hose

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are some images. Size is roughly 20’ x 15’ x 6’ deep

Attachments

• IMG_2293.jpeg
    IMG_2293.jpeg
    493.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2295.jpeg
    IMG_2295.jpeg
    434.7 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if i had to guess it is more the fact that there is no berm around the swimming hole preventing runoff from getting in the pond. That would be the first step toward clearing up the water. A liner can be placed but take my word for it liner alone is beyond slippery. you'll need to dig a shelf all around the pond but it needs to be dug down below the waters surface so your rocks can sit on the shelf in the water and the same rocks protrude out of the water hiding the liner. same shelf getys dug so the stream will come in over the liner

Ask a Question