Pond filtration cycling

Reaction score
I have a question: I have a 1000 gal pond with a 4500 gph pump in a skimmer into a Tetra biofilter with UV. I have about 15 inches of fish. The water returns to the pond via a waterfall. Is there any downside to putting a 120 v. cycle timer on the pump say 10 minutes on 5 minutes off and/or off totally during the night?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
plants use oxygen at night. pressure filters dont hold alot of water so or hold alot of oxygen. the aerobic bacteria requires oxygen to survive. so shutting down your pump & filter at night can cause the bacteria in the filter to turn anaerobic. in varying degrees depending filter size and the pond waters O2 saturation levels...and i imagine the off and on every 10 minutes wouldnt likely be good for the life of the pump.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome35.gif
Tim

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
WELCOME just like anything on and off is never good or at least most things

Reaction score
I have a question: I have a 1000 gal pond with a 4500 gph pump in a skimmer into a Tetra biofilter with UV. I have about 15 inches of fish. The water returns to the pond via a waterfall. Is there any downside to putting a 120 v. cycle timer on the pump say 10 minutes on 5 minutes off and/or off totally during the night?
Depends on the pond. What is the purpose?

Ask a Question