addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if you get any sort of buildup that flushing might be an issue if the slits are down.
10 years later no build up, but I do not pull from the bottom of the pond. I pull water from about 1 foot from the bottom.

Reaction score
Country
United States
where the arrow is pointing that’s where my pump pulls the water from the pond and fills the upper half. I have a valve on the back which I can control the flow of water
B33787A3-107B-4C47-9A74-177970DEC4FB.jpeg

brokensword

Not all those who wander are lost
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
where the arrow is pointing that’s where my pump pulls the water from the pond and fills the upper half. I have a valve on the back which I can control the flow of water View attachment 137985
gotcha; didn't see that you were plumbing in from the bottom. The other aspects/points though, still should be noted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Ok, I just want to make sure you have the basic concept correct.
The water gets pumped from the pond, through that TEE with the arrow pointing at it, through the PVC manifold, out of the 1/4" holes, up through the gravel and returns to the pond through those three pipes on the right.

At first I thought you had the water flowing the other way, so I just wanted to make sure.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok so I made the slits in the PVC as well as the 1/4” holes. Think this will be enough? I will be putting the wire grate back in it like in the first pics I posted. That will hopefully keep any chances of the holes or slits getting plugged up.
6B0D994D-2788-41DE-A274-8F4A79C91062.jpeg

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Some of us have clean-out stacks.
I sometimes notice the flow back to my pond slow up. This happens maybe once every couple months. That's when I flush the manifold via the clean-out stacks.
I'll turn off the pump, unscrew the cap on the stack, turn the pump back on and watch black water shoot out for a few seconds. I shut the pump off, close the cap and turn the pump back on. The flow back to the pond resumes it's full strength.
Look at my link back in post #17. The stacks are at the end of each manifold leg. The stacks go up vertically and end just at the level of the gravel. Screw caps keep them secure.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok so for this one behind the pond between the pump and where it goes into the overflow tank is a valve which you can use to regulate the flow of the water.

Fourth idea; you may not have enough outlet flow area to handle the water you're going to put in. Watch it as your bog water height might start rising faster than those two outflow pipes can return it. You may need another or wider pipes. Just something to keep an eye on. General rule of thumb is outflow diameter = twice the diameter of the inflow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Ok so for this one behind the pond between the pump and where it goes into the overflow tank is a valve which you can use to regulate the flow of the water.
Instead of restricting the flow of your pump with that one valve which may not be so good for the pump...
What some do in regards to that, is add a wye fitting and two valves after it. One valve feeds the bog and one returns to the pond. Each can be regulated independently as needed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like you have it right. Now just figure out which pretty plants to add.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Closing in the pipe from the sides is a must divide the space as you have it in length by 4 even spaces one space to each wall to the pipe leaving two even spaces between the pipes.
Agreed cut the slits every 6 inches 1/3 the way through the 2 inch pvc pipe slits facing down . And a riser on the end for cleaning down the road.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would also cut the concrete wall and make a waterfall instead of my water coming out some ugly pipes but that's my taste.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have a grate that has been used and is not rotting out then I may use it if you elevate it an inch above your pipe you'll create a mini settling chamber . That's a good thing in my eyes it will give microbes and waterbugs a little city person where any plant matter can lay and dissolve and the creatures can devour it . That's the whole idea of the bog is making homes for these processes to take place.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have a clean out pipe, slits do face down, I think you will be fine.

The wire grate will help as long as the openings in the wire are not to fine. If too fine they will clog up with stuff.

I have never had to clean my BIG bog in the 11 years it has been running. I do not draw water from the bottom of the pond and do have a leaf basket between the pond draw of the water and the bog. External pump. My leaf basket never needs to be cleaned over the summer.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
THIS is what i plan to build to add on to my existing pond - but probably on a more DIY state :)
Thanks for everyone's thoughts - saved me from asking a whole lot of questions!
I would ask everyone's opinion on the copper return pipes - i would probably change those out to PVC (you can paint if you want) and at that time you can probably make them larger OD as well. Like someone said - the rule your outflow is 2x your inflow OD, so you dont get overflow.
I would also add that perhaps you can add some different size gravel also - dont have to go just with pea gravel...larger at the bottom with the pea at the top.
To the OP - you're have the making of a good filter - do keep us updated on what you do and how you do it with photos.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question