Pond filtration

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like you have it right. Now just figure out which pretty plants to add.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Closing in the pipe from the sides is a must divide the space as you have it in length by 4 even spaces one space to each wall to the pipe leaving two even spaces between the pipes.
Agreed cut the slits every 6 inches 1/3 the way through the 2 inch pvc pipe slits facing down . And a riser on the end for cleaning down the road.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would also cut the concrete wall and make a waterfall instead of my water coming out some ugly pipes but that's my taste.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have a grate that has been used and is not rotting out then I may use it if you elevate it an inch above your pipe you'll create a mini settling chamber . That's a good thing in my eyes it will give microbes and waterbugs a little city person where any plant matter can lay and dissolve and the creatures can devour it . That's the whole idea of the bog is making homes for these processes to take place.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have a clean out pipe, slits do face down, I think you will be fine.

The wire grate will help as long as the openings in the wire are not to fine. If too fine they will clog up with stuff.

I have never had to clean my BIG bog in the 11 years it has been running. I do not draw water from the bottom of the pond and do have a leaf basket between the pond draw of the water and the bog. External pump. My leaf basket never needs to be cleaned over the summer.

Reaction score
THIS is what i plan to build to add on to my existing pond - but probably on a more DIY state :)
Thanks for everyone's thoughts - saved me from asking a whole lot of questions!
I would ask everyone's opinion on the copper return pipes - i would probably change those out to PVC (you can paint if you want) and at that time you can probably make them larger OD as well. Like someone said - the rule your outflow is 2x your inflow OD, so you dont get overflow.
I would also add that perhaps you can add some different size gravel also - dont have to go just with pea gravel...larger at the bottom with the pea at the top.
To the OP - you're have the making of a good filter - do keep us updated on what you do and how you do it with photos.

Ask a Question