Pond in the foothills

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
When I noticed the dragonfly nymphs and some morphing into damselflies or dragonflies in the top of the Skippy filter, I wondered how come I didn't notice them before! There were maybe 12 of them easily visible on the top of the water or on the sides of the container. Then I remembered there are ALWAYS 1-2 bullfrogs in there. Guess they found a lot of food in that Skippy. I agree with Addy, survival of the fittest. I have seen no babies again this year so far, but saw "bubble" masses in each pond at least twice already, something I'm not sure I remember seeing last year.
Congrats on your minnow babies or whatever they are, Mitch! By the time I can see the baby fish in my ponds, they are usually safe from the fish, etc.

Reaction score
Found lots of baby minnows today. Also I netted a dead goldfish out of the bottom of the pond :( Problem is.... It's not my gold fish :bored: None of my fish are missing. I didn't think to take a picture, but the fish was half eaten, all the guts were gone, eyes etc.... Some of which I'm sure was do in part to the small cat fish I have that keep the bottom clean. But now the question...... Where did the gold fish come from???

Reaction score
Lol possiblely, but what ate it :(
There are three homes in this area with ponds, the man behind me has gold fish. Would, say a raccoon, catch one at his pond and bring it here to eat it, and dropped it in there? The fish seem sorta skidish the last couple days, they still look up at me but stay down deeper instead of following me around and begging :bored:.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Could happen that way I guess. If a raccoon can get to the fish he will be back. Ok up all night w/ a flashlight? Are you up to it? Camera? Net? Don't even know if a net would work w/raccoon.
Could the fish have been put in there and just died and the catfish munched on it?

Ask a Question