Pond is frozen in Chicago

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I like the Pond Breather and use one; but am wondering if you might find a de -icer locally, since you really do need an opening in the ice. You could check some tractor supply type stores, then add the Pond Breather later.....I actually use a Pond Breather, small aerator and a de icer.....call me paranoid!

Also paranoid! 1000 watt de-icer by skimmer opening as water passes through and back to the falls. That deicer is on one GFIC. The skimmer is on another GFIC. In my shed 60 ft from the pond, a purple LED light goes on in the window when the digital temperature controller activates the deicer at 34F. I t shuts down at 37F.

Pond has never frozen even in the worst cold spells. Usually maintains 45F - 48F. Someone refuted the possibility on the forum that that was possible. Their math and formulas were most likely correct but some in my pond defies the math. Possibly the earths heat at 4ft ....
Not that's paranoid and OCD but my koi are quite the ones :) ...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have an air stone in the back but that's not big enough or heated so it froze.

I may check out this Pond Breather, has anyone used similar?

https://www.amazon.com/8PB-Breather...&qid=1482087491&sr=8-1&keywords=pond+breather
I have been using them for years, ever since Mitch talked about them years ago. The fish do great. And very easy on the electric bill.

Buy it here and today, 20% off.
use merry20

69 dollars

http://pet-supplies.drsfostersmith....&visitorID=&cartcount=0&wishcount=0&division=

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I used only an aerator for 10 years before I got my pond breather. Usually in February my pond will freeze totally over. After a couple of days I would go out with a pan of hot water and open the hole back up. The ice wasn't as thick by the aerator and didn't take long to do. I now use both the pond breather and an aerator.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
... Someone refuted the possibility on the forum that that was possible. Their math and formulas were most likely correct but some in my pond defies the math. Possibly the earths heat at 4ft .....

That someone was me, and if I remember correctly, you never ran through the pond heat loss formula exercise.
(located in my signature below)
Everything is explainable, it's just a question of knowing all the facts..;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
That someone was me, and if I remember correctly, you never ran through the pond heat loss formula exercise.
(located in my signature below)
Everything is explainable, it's just a question of knowing all the facts..;)

Yes, now I recall! Same setup, dropped down to 15F, never out of the 20's for days, water temp was 48F. Must be a few variable missing on my end
but it's consistent ....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I stay with my pond heater since it is not run that often .Last year only switched it on 2 times .It is a 100 watt one .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I stay with my pond heater since it is not run that often .Last year only switched it on 2 times .It is a 100 watt one .

If only :). I doubt a 100W heater would keep a 5 gallon bucket ice-free with the weather we are having here. Low of -11 last night.. @shanezam203 is your pond completely above ground or does it extend below ground level as well?

I have a pond breather which is being forced down into the pond by the snow on the netting. And a subsurface pump aimed at the surface. The hole from that one was down to 6" this morning. Hopefully it will open up a bit this week as it warms up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've used a heater from Foster/Smith for the last three years with no fish casualties, and ice thicknesses up to 15". It uses very low wattage and has kept a hole no less than 14" open. I have no water circulating, and no air stone. In spite of ambient air temps the water at the bottom of my 36" deep pond maintains 36-38 degrees.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Boy and am I glad I live where I do live ,50's and then up to the 60's for Christmas .;)My brother Glenn lives in Flat Rock Michigan and he said it is bad .

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Thank you all, I used boiling water and I was able to get my air stones to bubble and move the water around better. I cut some slack in the lines so they aren't as deep down and they are bubbling on the surface, plus our temps are warmer this week than last. So we have a larger opening in the pond now, thank you all!

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Got some good breathing in the back under the waterfall now thanks to some hot boiling water and warmer temps. Should be good now?
Good Air Stone.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can plug in a heat lamp for a little while ,that is what I did my first winter

Ask a Question