Pond Mosses

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, the ferns are grown in dappled shade.
By bog conditions, I mean that they are grown in saturated soil, in containers kept in flooded saucers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
My moss arrived today.

pond_build_041.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
mosses aren't deeply rooting, heck..barely rooting at all, so transplanting it is a matter of grabbing it from one place and putting it in another. If it stays damp, it'll stick usually.
The buttermilk trick is to blend moss and buttermilk together and then just spread it where you want it. Something in the buttermilk helps it grow, supposedly. I've never needed to do anything when I transplant moss, though. You can also get powdered buttermilk (though I've seen that that's expensive).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Anyone have moss that lives in Florida?? I would LOVE to have some on my waterfall rocks but am hesitant due to the heat here....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is incredible for so many reasons!

Do you water the moss on the banks and places by hand, or do you rely on some kind of irrigation/drip system?

Also, are those various species of coral bells I see? Very beautiful! I just bought my first two yesterday and looked them up only to discover how many gorgeous kinds there are!
I know it's an old thread but wanted to answer. As of now I do not do any additional watering. I have had some spots where I have gone through several different types of moss looking for one that will be happy in its new home. I believe paying attention to where it's growing . Is it on a fallen tree is it in sand is it on rock is it sitting in a pocket on the rock that's always wet.?
I love moss as well as is obvious by my build.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree with others tha tferns are too often overlooked as plants for bogs and ponds.
I grow the following ferns in bog conditions and recommend them all.

Ostrich Fern (Mattheucia struthiopteris)
Old World Royal Fern (Osmunda regalis 'Purpurascens')
Cinnamon Fern (Osmundastrum cinnamomea)
Western Chain Fern (Woodwardia fimbriata)

I also grow Horsetails (Equisetum), which are technically ferns, but most people don't think of them as such. They can also be rather invasive in some situations. Still worth considering for some spots. Don't forget the Dwarf Scouring-rush (Equisetum scirpoides).
I'm ripping out my horse tail rush this year it is growing wayyyyyy to well. That and and this will be a fight the penny wart. If it's on the invasive list think 10 times before you go and plant it.

Ferns are like moss, grasses and wood to me for a natural looking habitat. Can have it without all the above.

I just scored a very unique piece of tree stump . To go along with the new bog it's not your usual east cost piece. It's more like a Colorado rockies piece.

Can't wait to set it and get the big bog running again. Plants arive next week

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If the mosses you have are what I think they are the two on the outside can be in the sun as long as they have plenty of water . The one on the left likes water running by it but I'm talking in very low flow . But I have also seen it in the edges of ponds underwater seaonaly.
The middle is definatly I like dabbled sun under a tree or growing on a rock ledge with lots of light but nothing direct shot on it
The one on the right ihave growing along the waters edge

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
If the mosses you have are what I think they are the two on the outside can be in the sun as long as they have plenty of water . The one on the left likes water running by it but I'm talking in very low flow . But I have also seen it in the edges of ponds underwater seaonaly.
The middle is definatly I like dabbled sun under a tree or growing on a rock ledge with lots of light but nothing direct shot on it
The one on the right ihave growing along the waters edge

Thank you for the information on the moss. I have no knowledge on moss at all. I just wanted to incorporate some in my pond. I am also building a terrarium that will use some of it for what should be a pretty nice display.

I made a test 5 gallon one and I can see where some moss does not like too much water. Now I am building a 20 gallon one that should look great. It will have all of the varieties I purchased in it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a paldarium I guess it was called. my emogi is of that tank. It was rather unique and one in a million

Ask a Question