Pond shape?

Gordon54

Mr Gordon Sharp
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We're new to pond building. This is our hole for our pond. Any opinions? Not sure it is right but need advice please.

Attachments

• IMG_20200730_192743.jpg
    IMG_20200730_192743.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 124

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Can’t really tell from the pic, but it looks pretty deep — compared to the length and width. What are the measurements and estimated volume? Are you planning to have fish?

Shape-wise, I don’t see a problem with it.

Gordon54

Mr Gordon Sharp
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome!

Can’t really tell from the pic, but it looks pretty deep — compared to the length and width. What are the measurements and estimated volume? Are you planning to have fish?

The deepest part is 1m because we were planning on having a few small fish and wanted somewhere for them to go if it got pretty cold and iced over. The 1m part is only a small bit not sure about length and width but it's probably roughly about 2m wide and 3m long.

Gordon54

Mr Gordon Sharp
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There is no wrong only some are better then others but rounded is much better then squares.
The more jagged the more variances in the shore line the depth and the size of rock the more natural it will look.

Soil looks pretty stable no major rocks are you planning to rock inside the pond ?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum.

This is what I would do, cut back that top shelf by half, use it to hold rocks to cover up the liner. Give the fish a bit more water room.
ponda.jpg

like this

1596238828730.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I m yself would not build a pond that small. i just like big. Addy has a point though she didn't specifically say so though she did . by the time you put in all the rock the pond is going to shrink and in a big way. i said before it looks like a great bog location and then build your rec pond/ koi pond all in one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think the first error people make in design is they build the shelves and then make the rock try to fit the shelves. You should have your stone first and see how big it is and make the shelves fit the rock you cN EASILY TAKE AN OTHER SHOVEL FULL OF DIRT out but its pretty hard to stretch or shrink rock . ok yes you can split it but not always a easy task and you definitely pay more for larger rock of character

Ask a Question