cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Even if it's in a lot of sunlight?
Not only does moss grow in sunlight, it also survives the winter when it is not in touch with any water. Here is a pictures of some moss that I planted last year on my rocks in the waterfall, which is almost all day sun.
plants - moss 2020-5-11.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I live in an incredibly dry climate, and also high altitude. I learned the other day that higher altitude = stronger UV radiation from the sun--that the UV radiation here is about 15% stronger than the UV radiation at sea level. I have noticed that plants that are considered "full sun" don't do well here unless they are shaded.

I think for now, I'll stick with placing the moss in places that get more shade and hope that it naturally spreads out to sunnier areas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know this is an old thread, but how do you all transplant moss? How do you stick it to your rocks or liner?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I know this is an old thread, but how do you all transplant moss? How do you stick it to your rocks or liner?
There is a buttermilk recipe. I have never tried it but they say it works. Maybe someone here has tried it and knows the best recipe.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
First step with moss is to pay attention to the surface / what the moss is growing on and location of the moss. heavy shade light shade along a road but brite. along a stream. on top of rocks in the woods or growing on sand, wood or compost.

for a vertical surface try using fabric for the roots to dig in as much as moss sets roots. If its going to be kept wet just rub a similar moss against the fabric . it will grow . and like jw said there's cocktails out there. i do like @Jhn and keep tucking different mosses until one likes the area and takes hold. Out there @combatwombat you probably won't have to work to hard to get it to take over. your not in the arid desert out there you'll probably be mofoing the moss in no time.
another plant i would concentrate on is FERNS. YOUR IN MOSS AND FERN HEAVEN OR HELL DEPENDS HOW YOU LOOK AT IT

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
First step with moss is to pay attention to the surface / what the moss is growing on and location of the moss. heavy shade light shade along a road but brite. along a stream. on top of rocks in the woods or growing on sand, wood or compost.

for a vertical surface try using fabric for the roots to dig in as much as moss sets roots. If its going to be kept wet just rub a similar moss against the fabric . it will grow . and like jw said there's cocktails out there. i do like @Jhn and keep tucking different mosses until one likes the area and takes hold. Out there @combatwombat you probably won't have to work to hard to get it to take over. your not in the arid desert out there you'll probably be mofoing the moss in no time.
another plant i would concentrate on is FERNS. YOUR IN MOSS AND FERN HEAVEN OR HELL DEPENDS HOW YOU LOOK AT IT

Totally. I have more ferns and miss around here than I know what to do with. Just haven’t ever tried to transplant it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am also interested in trying to grow more aquatic mosses, such as the various Java Mosses (Vesicularia dubyana, V. reticulata, also Taxiphyllum barbieri). There are other interesting Vescularia species available, including Christmas Tree Moss (Vesicularia montagnei cv.), Weeping Moss (Vesicularia ferriei), etc.

Another less commonly grown genus is Fontinalis, the Water-mosses or Fountain Mosses. The most popular is Willow Moss (Fontinalis antipyretica). It is reported to be hardy to USDA Zone 2, making it a good choice for ponds in cold regions.

There is also low tighter-growing forms such as, Phoenix Moss (Fissidens fontanus) and several Liverworts in the genus Riccia, such as Riccia fluitans. Liverworts (Marchantiophyta) are fully distinct from Moss (Bryophyta), but are similar in many ways as well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with others tha tferns are too often overlooked as plants for bogs and ponds.
I grow the following ferns in bog conditions and recommend them all.

Ostrich Fern (Mattheucia struthiopteris)
Old World Royal Fern (Osmunda regalis 'Purpurascens')
Cinnamon Fern (Osmundastrum cinnamomea)
Western Chain Fern (Woodwardia fimbriata)

I also grow Horsetails (Equisetum), which are technically ferns, but most people don't think of them as such. They can also be rather invasive in some situations. Still worth considering for some spots. Don't forget the Dwarf Scouring-rush (Equisetum scirpoides).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I agree with others tha tferns are too often overlooked as plants for bogs and ponds.
I grow the following ferns in bog conditions and recommend them all.

Ostrich Fern (Mattheucia struthiopteris)
Old World Royal Fern (Osmunda regalis 'Purpurascens')
Cinnamon Fern (Osmundastrum cinnamomea)
Western Chain Fern (Woodwardia fimbriata)

I also grow Horsetails (Equisetum), which are technically ferns, but most people don't think of them as such. They can also be rather invasive in some situations. Still worth considering for some spots. Don't forget the Dwarf Scouring-rush (Equisetum scirpoides).

Cool! What’s the sunlight condition of your bog? Partial shade?

Ask a Question