Pond NEWB pics included

Reaction score
Dont know the gallonage, it is about 5' wide 7' long 18-24" deep. One pond light for now, Tetra 550GPH pump with filter attachment. 4-regular run of the mill goldfish from pet store, 2-fancy tail goldfish 1-Koi Unknown type (if you can tell me what type it is i would appreciate it) NOW for the pictures

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

Let me know what you think
BTW anyone tell me what type of koi that is and if him chasing the other goldfish around is normal? I just dunno cause i read on here is was ok to mix them but had always heard the koi would eat regular goldfish

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Koi won't eat goldfish. From what I've heard, koi only eat insects, larvae, and sometimes fry when they are mistaken for insects or larvae, and fish eggs, animal-wise. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Reaction score
Hey guys any tips or tricks on the pond, it has a nice layer of green algae on the bottom and around the plant stems and on the rocks, from what i understand this is a good sign, all the fish love it i see them eating it all the time, i have started feeding them today and they love that too. Should i get a 2nd KOI for the other one as company or will he be "friends" with the other gold fish. AND the KOI seems kind of shy at first this is normal correct, he is not eating with the others and rarely moves around much? ONE last thing, how do i know what type of KOI it is and what should i look for in buying more?

Ask a Question