Pond newby as of last year, who needs lots of imput

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
So you may be correct, it's a number we got on a pond site using their calculator,,But I did tell you a wrong number..and it may change the gal. slightly it is only 20 wide and the deepest part is 4 ft..the majority is on the slope..So in all reality maybe 1/4 of it is at that 4ft then goes up to the 3 & 2ft. range...I just went by what I was told by guy who helped put it in and now went and stuck my ruler in and checked alittle closer...Thanks for pointing out the importance of knowing, ...My stock tank I have is a xl one as I had 4 horses...So I am working on making it into a skippy filter..I am also working on getting more plant matter in & on the pond...I do have a limited yearly budget, so this may be a ongoing project... Eventually it will be the oasis I am looking for...Thanks to finding this forum and reciving all the input from people who know...
oneofakindcritter said:
It's really hard to put and exact number on the gallons this pond is because the waterfall end is 5ft. deep and then the bottom spirels upward to 3ft...I didn't know about water meters when we filled it.or I would have rented 1 .. 26' w x 30 ' L. WE guess it to be 1800 to 2000 gal. I currently have 7 koi living in it...as far as pumps go there is one running the waterfall/ skimmer loop. a aeration pump thats good for 10'ft deep, and one more smaller fountian pump that hasn't been placed in that goes in this weekend...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3600 on one & 4200 on the other
gardengimp said:
You could turn your stock tank into DIY skippy type filter or a DIY sand and gravel filter. You can google for both those. Do you know the GPH on the pump you have now? I think you may be a few decimal points off on your pond gallons base on 26 feet by 30 feet. More like 20000 to 25000 gallons. Generally, for koi you want a pumps to turn your water over at least once every two hours, better once per hour.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Ok I have those 2 will use bigger ones...All those trees in the pictures, we put in so have plenty of 5 gal pots....This was at 1 time a pasture and has been in transfermation for awhile now...to make it what you see in the picts...
sissy said:
I put my bulbs at just below water level ,They need some oxygen .I just wash the pots other plants come in and soak them good in peroxide and water to get any bacteria off them .Just use the 5 gallon ones because the bulbs get really big here fast .You could get away with 3 gallon .I even plant mine part above water because they just wick water up and the roots grow so fast here I have to trim them often .Even the grass roots have to be trimmed .Some of the roots after winter and I trimmed them in late fall

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 3 acres but I could never handle taking care of that sized pond and notice you have a garden in the back there .I give you alot of credit as it looks like a big project .I could never handle that much work myself .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
not only a garden that tall framwork is a grape arbor we make wine..and the long stip of dirt is aspargus..I produces 30 pounds a day in season...I give it away to friends and family on days I can't get to it... :) Which makes my day & theirs.. It is a full time job good thing I retired from the normal work force...or it would never have gotten this far... on the other side of the yard I have a huge avery that I raise guine hens and chickens.. I'm doing raise block flower beds on that side and paths... Everyone likes to come out & see what we are up to now, because it's always changing as you can imagine... Thanks for the complaments...I'll have to try and post other pictures when things are in bloom...HAPPY PONDING
sissy said:
I have 3 acres but I could never handle taking care of that sized pond and notice you have a garden in the back there .I give you alot of credit as it looks like a big project .I could never handle that much work myself .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am a vegetarian and love asparagus but here it does not grow good except late fall or early spring it is just to hot for it but used to grow lots of it in NJ and when i retired here thought i could grow more veggies but not in the summer heat every thing just stops flowering and have to wait until September for it to start again .I used to grow brussel sprouts but they have failed every year here as it is just not cold enough . Yep would love to see more right now everything is blooming here

Ask a Question